Dog Forum  

Go Back   Dog Forum - DiscussDogs.com > >

Old 05-20-2012, 01:53 AM   #1
Lola2010

Lola2010 is on a distinguished road
Whingeing Dog

Lola is a whiner. No amount of shh or stop it etc makes any difference. She whines when she wakes up until she gets her breakfast, then until she gets her walk. I can leave her when I go out and she is not too bad but basically if I am in and she is not eating or with me and/or being entertained she whines.

It is not something I have encouraged. I do not engage with her when she whines but that does not make any difference. The problem is that when she goes to my partner's house with me she starts to whine from about 5:30 am. She is in better earshot and his neighbours are more likely to hear it than mine. At home she is behind a couple of closed doors and I never hear her whining during the night - don't know if she does or not but I don't hear!

How on earth do you stop this? At his if she carries on for long enough and loud enough I have to do something to shut her up so from her point of view this is working. I am going to get a blanket to put over their crate. She is not cold, thirsty, hungry etc just whingey!

Lola2010 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2012, 08:24 AM   #2
LynneMarie

LynneMarie is on a distinguished road

The blanket might help. Whining is a hard thing to get them to stop doing. I have a chihuahua that does the same thing. She however only does it when she thinks it is time to eat. I just ignore her and feed her when it is time. She will sometimes come and lay in my lap and wait. If she whines then, I just tell her it is not time yet and I will feed her at 7.
Have you tried giving her a chew to keep her mouth busy?

LynneMarie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:14 PM   #3
StarfishSaving
DD_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

StarfishSaving is on a distinguished road

Whining is not a behavior that is performed, it is more like a symptom, and has to do with anxiety. No corrections will stop it (actually, corrections cause stress and can make stress related behaviors worse) and you can't encourage it or make it worse by giving attention to the dog or finding a way to stop it. This is a myth and one that hurts dogs who could really use guidance, not being ignored.

Anything that will have a calming effect should lessen the whining, whether it's playing music, using a DAP diffuser or spraying dog-appeasing pheromones when she's at her worst, giving her more exercise and mental stimulation, and if all of the above fails, possibly an anti-anxiety drug, though in a young dog I hate to see that.

I HIGHLY recommend helping Lola learn to practice calm behaviors. Yes, you can train "calm." Rewarding her when she is not whining throughout the day is great- with one overly hyper foster, I said "yes!" softly and put cookies right in front of him every time I saw him lower his head to the ground and he started offering that behavior. It meant he couldn't be chasing my cats, hard to do with your chin on the floor, and the longer I made him wait, the more likely he was to finally sleep. There is also something called "Relaxation protocol." It is a series of exercises that you build a routine up with over time where you are rewarding the dog for calm behaviors while you increase distractions. It is great and helps dogs learn to be calmer even when they are stimulated.

Here's more info: http://dogscouts.org/Protocol_for_relaxation.html

And here are mp3s for the various days- it helps guide you through the protocol which seems less daunting than reading the long lists of exercises on paper. It's really not that hard. http://championofmyheart.com/relaxat...col-mp3-files/

You can find lots of videos on Youtube of dogs doing this.

-Crystal with CGCs: Sammy, George, Sally, Dover and Toby and foster Tricksy
Rescue owner, professional trainer, shelter consultant

Getting Started on the Forum (and how to post pics)
Forum Rules
StarfishSaving is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:59 AM   #4
Lola2010

I wonder if she is hungry - cruel mother that I am I don't tend to give her loads of food. Her weight is spot on and condition is great but she is OBSESSED with food! She is not fearful, more over sensitive, very quick to respond to any stimulus. I have considered the clomicalm - it helped so much with her SA when we lost the labrador.
I did wonder about giving them both a chew of some sort but they are both a bit inclined to guard food and being in the same crate seems a bit much to expect when there is food involved. I don't have space or money for 2 cages and also they actually love being together. I think it would be worse to seperate them to be honest

Old 05-21-2012, 07:17 AM   #5
LynneMarie

Give chews and have one loose and the other in the kennel if you are afraid of them bothering each other. Mine all have their own bed in the living room that they go to and chew. If they have issues like that it might be good to teach them to chew on their own bed somewhere in the house. They love being together but will fight over food. Mommy?

Old 05-21-2012, 07:39 AM   #6
Lola2010

The thing is they share a bed. If they have scrummies they tend to find their own quiet spot and I don't give them when I am not around. I can't leave them loose as puppy is still chewy and Lola follows her nose into the kitchen cupboards!

Old 05-21-2012, 08:34 AM   #7
LynneMarie

I understand not leaving them loose when not able to watch. I also understand having to monitor them now when they have a goody, However now is the time to put them on their bed and teach them to leave each others goody alone. Is the bed large enough for them to have at least a foot of space between them? If so place them in their spots and watch them. As soon as one looks at the other tell them to leave it they have their own. It does not take long for them to learn. However being young I would not trust them alone for awhile.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:37 AM   #8
Lola2010

They are both pretty good to be fair with each other's meals and stuff. I can leave them to eat unsupervised now - I am around just not observing!

Old 05-21-2012, 04:45 PM   #9
Lucille

Lucille is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola2010 View Post
The thing is they share a bed.
If Lola is the anxious type, maybe her own little place might be calming?
Lucille is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:06 PM   #10
StarfishSaving
DD_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

StarfishSaving is on a distinguished road

I do not encourage owners to allow dogs to spend 100% of their time together, this creates codependency, insecurity and sometimes even separation anxiety from the other dogs. I also feel it is unsafe to have two dogs confined in one crate. If I had to stack two crates on top of one another, I'd rather do that. They enjoy each other and they don't fight, but isn't your pup still maturing? If so, that could change. Also, if one happens to be feeling ill or sore or something, tempers can be much shorter and they have nowhere to go to avoid one another if a squabble starts.

-Crystal with CGCs: Sammy, George, Sally, Dover and Toby and foster Tricksy
Rescue owner, professional trainer, shelter consultant

Getting Started on the Forum (and how to post pics)
Forum Rules
StarfishSaving is online now   Reply With Quote