Dog Forum  

Go Back   Dog Forum - DiscussDogs.com > >

Old 03-24-2012, 10:05 AM   #1
Cyndi

Cyndi is on a distinguished road
How does your dog ride? Crated? Seatbelt? other?

This is something which often causes me worry.

A friend of mine got in a car wreck yesterday, with her dog. She was in an SUV and her dog is often times crated in the rear of the vehicle. This time, because it was a short ride her dog was not crated or belted and was thrown from the car. The dog was uninjured, thankfully. An onlooker was kind enough to find the dog and take the dog to her vet. The rear od the SUV was crushed, by the way. I forgot to ask what the crate looked like.

Anyways, this is something that's always on my mind because my dog and I travel frequently. I do crate her when we're traveling out of town. I'm not comfortable with it though. I'm concerned that if we were in an accident and I was transported, she might be left behind. I drive a small truck with an xtra cab. The kennel is either secured in the back seat or under a cap, in the cargo area (also secured)

When we're driving in town, she's free in the car and stays in her seat. In town, by the way, is VERY rural. There's one paved road through the center of town but we avoid that as much as possible, enjoying the side roads and wild life. We live in open range so slow moving steer are a common road hazard. On the dirt roads we're traveling 15-20 mphish.

The seat belts scare me because I am pretty sure she would not let any one close enough to get her out, if I wasn't able to release her.

Do you use a seat belt? Brand?

Below, are videos, with dogs in various traveling modes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=_XFK7XNa9-4

Bad idea! using a regular halter as a seatbelt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=2PA71MJHHmQ

The seat belts scare me because I am pretty sure she would not let any one close enough to get her out, if I wasn't able to release her.
Cyndi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:39 AM   #2
PapiMama

PapiMama is on a distinguished road

When we travel out of town my dog is in her kennel. It's in the back seat.

When we travel around in town she has her own booster seat in each vehicle. The booster seat has a safety strap that connects to her vest harness.

BTW, I hope your friend is doing OK.

PapiMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:40 AM   #3
StarfishSaving
DD_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

StarfishSaving is on a distinguished road

Crate, or tethered by a harness, in the back of my SUV or backseat of our truck (full cab) but if you can't use a crate, I believe a seat belt harness in a seat is the safest thing. A dog can become a lethal projectile if loose in the car (not to mention, they'd not survive.)

If your dog would not let someone near enough to undo her seat belt in the event of an accident, I highly recommend just using your crate.

Here's an account of an accident that my friend Sarah of Mid Atlantic Border Collie Rescue was in, and why she requires crates or seat belt harnesses for her rescue dogs during transports or going to their new homes.

-Crystal with CGCs: Sammy, George, Sally, Dover and Toby and foster Tricksy
Rescue owner, professional trainer, shelter consultant

Getting Started on the Forum (and how to post pics)
Forum Rules
StarfishSaving is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #4
Michele

Michele is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Michele

JC sits with me, and the car seat belt goes around both of us. I'm not driving, I am the passenger.

http://www.canine-chat.com/community/index.php
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Animal-Chat/451315031618064?ref=hl
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
vonissk
DD_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

vonissk is on a distinguished road

I only take one at a time anywhere and they ride loose in the car, generally in the front seat, minding their own biz. This is a rural town too altho we have more then one paved road. But people drive slow through town and I generally just perk along with them. I have always allowed them to ride like that.

U-CH PTD Auggie vom Texomaland OFA Good
U-CH Marybecks Mauli Ishto von Issk OFA Good/Normal
www.vonisskshepherds.com

vonissk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:54 PM   #6
Redyre_Rotties

Redyre_Rotties is on a distinguished road

Mine are always in crates. In particular with my breed, if there is any incident, it's important they are safely restrained. I have a sign that stays in my van that notes where rabies certificates are located, that I will be financially responsible for any boarding or medical care needed for any dogs in my vehicle, and whom to notify if I am incapacitated.

The envious die not once, but as oft as the envied win applause.

~Baltasar Gracian

Redyre_Rotties is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:00 PM   #7
StarfishSaving
DD_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

StarfishSaving is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redyre_Rotties View Post
Mine are always in crates. In particular with my breed, if there is any incident, it's important they are safely restrained. I have a sign that stays in my van that notes where rabies certificates are located, that I will be financially responsible for any boarding or medical care needed for any dogs in my vehicle, and whom to notify if I am incapacitated.
Great idea. I have something like this in my wallet but your idea is much better. May I ask where you keep it?

-Crystal with CGCs: Sammy, George, Sally, Dover and Toby and foster Tricksy
Rescue owner, professional trainer, shelter consultant

Getting Started on the Forum (and how to post pics)
Forum Rules
StarfishSaving is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:04 PM   #8
Redyre_Rotties

Redyre_Rotties is on a distinguished road

It used to be attached with adhesive on the back of my passenger seat. It is now visible in the pocket on the back of the passenger seat. I need to reattach it. It is highly visible to your right as soon as you open the side doors of the van. It is red with white lettering.

I sometimes carry and/or show dogs for others, so it is important to me to make sure that all dogs would be cared for and attended to in the event of any accident or if I were to have any sort of significant health issue while traveling.

The envious die not once, but as oft as the envied win applause.

~Baltasar Gracian

Redyre_Rotties is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:15 PM   #9
porchpotty

porchpotty is on a distinguished road

Whenever she goes with us for a ride, I usually sit beside her with my dad driving our car.

[admin removed- advertising links/sites in signatures is not permitted.]

porchpotty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:38 AM   #10
Cyndi

Cyndi is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the input! LOVE the idea of attaching emergency medical/contact information to the kennel. That's going to happen, today!

Cyndi is offline   Reply With Quote