Dog Forum  

Go Back   Dog Forum - DiscussDogs.com > >

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
rubydooby
Adolescent

rubydooby is on a distinguished road
Bully Breed. What's the Deal?

This may be a bit overdone but I have to put my two cents in. Pitbulls and bully breeds-- *exasperated sigh*
I currently own a 1/4 pitbull. She has grown up with my two children and has been BY FAR the MOST reliable dog I have ever encountered. I would never be ignorant enough to leave her with my children unattended but when we are together as a family she is nothing but good with my kids.
My 5 year old daughter has autism, she sometimes does things to my dog that could push an average dogs patience-- grabbing her paws and doing "shake a paw", grabbing her around the body, pushing at her (nothing that causes physical pain, more irritating). My dog looks at her like "you done now"? This dog has brought my daughter out of her shell, she laughs with my dog, she touches my dog, she hugs my dog (if you know autism you know this is a big deal).
The over breeding, torture and media hysteria these dogs are put through-- isn't it enough??
Some people should NOT own pitbulls. They are very strong, very independent, and they don't give up. Very good characteristics in the right hands and VERY lethal in the wrong ones.
Condolensces to people/animals that lost their lives because pitbulls were in the WRONG HANDS.
Punish the deed not the breed.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:49 AM   #2
DaneDreaming
Jenn~n~Luke

DaneDreaming is on a distinguished road

I'd like to blame the media for it all, but the truth is, it's often not the media at all that brought that type of reaction on. It's actual real life experience that people see and go through everyday when they come across a bully breed on the street. I do not, nor have I ever, supported any type of BSL, however...when you live in an area like I do, where we have over 40 pit/mixes in a three street area, ALL owned by young, un educated, low income, mostly drug selling or drug addicted people, who are being literally DRUG DOWN THE STREET by their out of control, dog aggressive dog...then you learn very quickly to move in the other direction as fast as you can. It is a daily issue here where I live, where walking my dog has become akin to walking a mine field. The fact of the matter IS that these dogs are attracting less than stellar owners. I am NOT going to put my dog or myself at risk, by approaching every pit bull I meet just so I can say I'm not biased. I have no way of knowing for sure when I come across someone with one of these dogs, whether the person walking him is responsible, whether the dog is trained properly, or not. I have yet to meet ONE person with one of these dogs, in my whole life in this city, that I would call a responsible, knowledgeable owner. The only ones I DO know, are online. So....am I going to put myself or my dog at risk just so I can say I'm not biased? Nope. My safety and that of my dog comes first. I'm sorry for those responsible owners who feel offended when someone avoids their dogs. It sucks. Those type of owners are not to blame for it. But until the wrong type of people stop getting their hands on these dogs, it's not going to matter how nice YOUR dog is with your child, or how many cute stories we read on the internet about how great a dog they are....caution and safety will always win out. To be honest with you, I'd much rather have people avoid me and my dog, than do what they do because they see a Great Dane, which is RUSH us like fans at a concert....never considering that my dog might not like being hugged and prodded and cornered. I'd trade places with you in a minute, because my dog would be much safer than he is being the star everyone wants to manhandle

Old 01-28-2012, 11:14 AM   #3
rubydooby
Adolescent

I agree, some areas are more prone to pitbull overpopulation. young "thugs" with their intense looking dogs, attempting to make up for their lack of masculinity... however, it's not the dogs fault. They are being exploited for the very characteristics that make them great.
I've never asked anyone to approach any pitbull or any dog of any breed-- especially not to get rid of a bias. Some DOGS aren't trustworthy not just some PITBULLS!!
My point is in the wrong hands a pitbull can be lethal but some people that know the breed and have experience with them deserve to own one.
I live in Canada where we own quite a few pits in our province (Saskatchewan) and there are not NEARLY as many maulings as in the US... why?? Yet Huskys and Malamute types as well as shepherds account for most bites and maulings....
I don't scope out a specific breed and regard it with distrust, I view the owners and the individual dogs.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:50 PM   #4
StarfishSaving
Mostly-benevolent Admin
DD_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

StarfishSaving is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneDreaming View Post
when you live in an area like I do, where we have over 40 pit/mixes in a three street area, ALL owned by young, un educated, low income, mostly drug selling or drug addicted people, who are being literally DRUG DOWN THE STREET by their out of control, dog aggressive dog...then you learn very quickly to move in the other direction as fast as you can.
So, this is the description that you give, and yet you really think that the reason you need to move to the other side of the street or in the other direction is because the dogs are pit mixes? You are applying this situation to your bias of the breed, which has given you a very grim opinion of these dogs (as is obvious in this thread as well as in the Misconceptions breed thread) but it's not the dogs that are causing this problem. You'd better also darn well move in the other direction if those same people are walking an out-of-control boxer, lab, mastiff or great dane. It isn't the dog that is the problem, it is the owner.

You can't really think that all pit bulls and pit bull types are out of control and drag their owners down the street? Or that they are the only dog capable of such a thing?

And for what it's worth, the what seems like disproportionate number of dog attacks by pit bulls versus other breeds IS the media's fault.
http://nationalcanineresearchcouncil...ience-interest
http://www.americanbar.org/newslette...x/pitbull.html

This conversation should be about the dog OWNERS in the area where you live. Yes, they've chosen pit bulls because pit bulls have become status symbols, but that could just as easily be any other type of dog and they'd be just as big a risk. Their particular choice of breed doesn't make pit bulls owned by OTHER people any more dangerous.

-Crystal with CGCs: Sammy, George, Sally, Dover and Toby and foster Tricksy
Rescue owner, professional trainer, shelter consultant

Getting Started on the Forum (and how to post pics)
Forum Rules

Last edited by StarfishSaving; 01-28-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:16 PM   #5
puplove
Grey Muzzle

puplove is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Some people should NOT own pitbulls. They are very strong, very independent, and they don't give up. Very good characteristics in the right hands and VERY lethal in the wrong ones.
I think this sums it up. It can very well apply to other breeds for sure. However I think what Dane is saying is that Pitbulls have become the choice of breed for the thugs.
The question is "Why have the thugs adopted this particular breed?"
Old 01-28-2012, 02:52 PM   #6
StarfishSaving
Mostly-benevolent Admin
DD_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

StarfishSaving is on a distinguished road

Unsavory types have always owned dogs like this. The dogs are strong, muscular, and masculine looking, they just plain LOOK fierce and tough. They have long been used for activities that bad people are more attracted to: bull baiting, then dog fighting. They are trusting/loyal, want to please, and because of their high pain tolerance, they will take an incredible amount of abuse without lashing out and hurting their "master." They became an urban status symbol and once that happened, well, they became "the" dog for thugs/gangsters to get. Before them, other breeds took the heat. The vast majority of owners of these breeds, though, aren't those kinds of people at all.

-Crystal with CGCs: Sammy, George, Sally, Dover and Toby and foster Tricksy
Rescue owner, professional trainer, shelter consultant

Getting Started on the Forum (and how to post pics)
Forum Rules
Old 01-28-2012, 02:56 PM   #7
vonissk
Grey Muzzle
DD_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

vonissk is on a distinguished road

I think the reason most thugs, if you will, own the breed is because first of all they have this look about them. What I mean by that is the powerful, muscular, athletic look. The other most important reason is because the average person is very frightened of them. Because of the media and the monsters they have made them out to be. Basically it is no different than anything else that has happened in our world. In my youth it was hair and music and the more we heard about different things going on and how terrible it was the more we wanted it. Unfortunately now it's much more intense then hair and music. Drugs, gangbanging, drive bys, weapons and unfortunately pitbulls have all became lumped together. And it's very very sad that a breed that was once considered a nursemaid's dog and a symbol for the American military has been lowered to the leval it is now.
One more thing I would like to add. Regardless of how you feel about the bully breeds, like, dislike, fear etc..look at their history and what has happened to them and if you think it can't happen to your breed you are very wrong my friends. And this is why regardless of who is the predominant owner of them--at least what is portrayed in the media--we, as dog lovers and owners, must fight with everything in us against breed bans.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:05 PM   #8
DaneDreaming
Jenn~n~Luke

Frankly I am getting sick of this attitude that if someone is leery of approaching a dog that it means they have a hate on for the breed. NO WHERE at NO TIME did I EVER say that I don't like these dogs. Breed bias has nothing to do with it. I DO know however that when it comes to dog aggression, many bully breeds have it. And unlike some other dogs, who might get into a little tiff and it's over without much harm, a bully breed is going to keep going until it's darn well ready to stop. I have ALSO said many times before, and in this forum if I'm not mistaken, that if I were alone, without Luke, I am the first one to meet and love on these dogs. Even the ones being drug down the street by idiots. Why? Because all of them, with the exception of TWO, are all great with PEOPLE. If I've got Luke with me, or any other dog I happen to be walking, you're darn right I'm crossing the street. Because no way am I risking my dog or anyone else's getting into a fight just to say "oh this one might not be dog aggressive, this one looks under control. Do you want to know how many dog fights start by people thinking the other dog is fine because it happens to walk well on lead? Wanna know how many people I run into or talk to in a run of a day who have made the mistake of thinking because a bully breed was in the dog park it must be ok with ALL dogs? Even assuming that a dog that's walking nicely on lead is guaranteed to be friendly to dogs or people is dangerous. You just DON'T know. I know all KINDS of responsible bully breed owners who have control over their dogs, and they are the first ones to tell ya, just because my dog isn't lunging at your dog right away do NOT assume they are fine with dogs.
Do I think that ALL pits are dog aggressive? No. I'm not un educated, nor am I ignorant. I do know that one of the top reasons any bully breed is rehomed, not just pits, staffies, but American bulldogs,etc....is due to severe DA that the owners were NOT able to train or "socialize" out of them. It's a fact. To deny it is to do nothing but harm the breed and put them in the hands of people who aren't capable of dealing with DA dogs. Thus so many being rehomed for that reason.
This automatic "you hate pit bulls" if you so much as mention anything negative about them has gone beyond ridiculous and is turning people off more than bringing them around. It's that fanatasism that we all must love them and trust them all or we're biased idiots that's pushing people farther away. When I don't like a dog, I'll come right out and say it. For instance. I don't like little dogs. I just don't. I don't have to apologize for it. But DO NOT tell me how I feel about bully breeds when I'm the first one standing behind the ANTI BSL laws!

Old 01-28-2012, 03:36 PM   #9
DaneDreaming
Jenn~n~Luke

Please forgive me for sounding so snarky. I lose my patience when this topic comes up and people misconstrue what my point was, or try to name my own feelings about something for me :P

Old 01-29-2012, 01:53 PM   #10
rubydooby
Adolescent

I suppose the bottom line is that-- I am not trying to push pitbulls or bully breeds on anyone. There should be strict guidelines pertaining to the ownership of any powerful breed like the pit. Instead of BSL there should be higher insurance rates and even some type of testing done (kind of like a test to get your license). Stop the puppy mills and overbreeding, heighten charges and jail sentences for involvement in dog fighting, spay and neuter obligations... then there might lay some solution.
I feel so sorry for all of the animals and people that have been harmed by a pitbull or bully type but I also feel sad for these dogs-- this breed that's been through so much torture.
I must say-- dog mauling is not from a specific breed just like animal abuse doesn't just effect pitbulls.
Such a sad state.

Closed Thread