Dog Forum  

Go Back   Dog Forum - DiscussDogs.com > >

Old 01-27-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
STLKDF

STLKDF is on a distinguished road
Does anyone cook for their dog?

I am really interested in switching my dogs to a homecooked diet. Does anyone on here already do that? I occasionally will cook something and add it to their dry food. Would it be best to do all home cooked or could I do that and add it to a small portion of the dry food?

I have a book ("Barker's Grub" ....don't know the author) that has a bunch of info, feeding schedules, reciepes and everything but I would like to hear from someone actually doing this.

STLKDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
vonissk
DD_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

vonissk is on a distinguished road

Hey Ef, yes I cook all the time for my guys. Now I am not advising you just going to tell you what I do. I lost one of my fave girls to cancer 2 yrs ago this coming March. Well she got to where she wouldn't eat dry anymore so I would cook different things to tempt her. Well bottom line is I never just give one dog something so the other guys got used to having toppings on their food. So now whatever I cook for myself I share with them for their supper. Nights when I don't cook, I open a can of veggies and split that between them. Or one thing I like to do is make rice and then mix a little soup or make some bouillon and mix that with it. Sometimes they get a little raw mixed in, sometimes I make bouillon and pour that in. I hardly ever give them potatoes but they like carrots and green beans the best--I don't do gravy cause it makes them have gas--learned that the hard way. Tonight we are having beef stew. And I don't give them a lot--like 2 big serving spoons full. They like it, it's good for them and I see the results in their coats and health period. My vet bill is very very low--we don't do annual shots--other than rabies--we don't do checkups--no reason to. I know when one of mine is " off" for some reason..............Plus it gives me something to do rather then just dump a cup of food in a pan, shove it at them and go on. It's almost like a family at the table when I do supper cause we talk and my boy barks and Mauli weaves in and out of the crowd--LOL--and Sister lays in her crate like the lady she is and just waits..........Hope that helps you some..............

U-CH PTD Auggie vom Texomaland OFA Good
U-CH Marybecks Mauli Ishto von Issk OFA Good/Normal
www.vonisskshepherds.com

vonissk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
Lucille

Lucille is on a distinguished road

I can't make up my mind. I will share food with my dogs, occasionally make them rice and hamburger, use kibble, feed raw sometimes.
But it keeps things interesting for them.
I don't think I could cook for all of them now every day, other than the occasional rice and meat, with that huge hound pup here, don't have enough big pots.
I'm thinking variety is fine as long as you have some idea about the nutritive value you serve, even if you do slip them pizza sometimes like I do.

Lucille is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:22 PM   #4
vonissk
DD_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

vonissk is on a distinguished road

Lucille I see absolutely nothing wrong with slipping them a bit of pizza or tjhis or that now and again. When I eat out--I am referring to hamburger night here--we all do. Yes they get their own burger--meat and bread only--and I tear it into pieces for them. Also there is a convenience store here with a deli in the back. They make breakfasts during the week. Sometimes they will have a bag of leftover egg and cheese biscuits, burritos and all that and Jo saves it for me and I get it for 2 bucks and they get that on their food. I just can't see anything wrong with it--it's people grade food, it's clean, it's cooked at the right temps and that Jo makes some awesome biscuits.................and the thing is they are used to it now and they look forward to it. Sure they would eat their supper without it, IF they were hungry enough. But myself it's just part of our lifestyle and I am cool with it...........

U-CH PTD Auggie vom Texomaland OFA Good
U-CH Marybecks Mauli Ishto von Issk OFA Good/Normal
www.vonisskshepherds.com

vonissk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:28 PM   #5
STLKDF

STLKDF is on a distinguished road

That's basically what I do now...they have their dry food and a I add some other stuff (yes, usually my food! ) just because I feel bad making them eat the same stuff 2 times a day. So here they have plain dog food for breakfast (I'm not a morning person so that's easier for me...less thinking involved) and their dinner will sometimes get some meat or something added.

So I've though more about a homecooked meal-- ENTIRELY homecooked --and decided against it for now. It's easier not to because I still live with my family so I don't really have a place to store the stuff I buy for the dogs meals so that I know no one else will eat it. I will continue to feed dry dog food and my food to them for now.

And it's good to know you guys share with the dogs too! Mine get something just about every meal from me.

STLKDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:36 PM   #6
Kat

Kat is on a distinguished road

I cooked for mine for about six months when the poisoned dog food scare happened a few years ago now we do butcher meats and dog chow

Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:06 PM   #7
CherFineArt

CherFineArt is on a distinguished road

I cook some butcher meat as well and add that to Nana's kibbles. She still gets the kibbles so I know that she is getting all the things that she needs but she also gets the added meat that she loves. I also dehydrate meat bits and that is what she gets for her treats. I don't buy treats at the pet store. Nana has a sensitive stomach so this way I know exactly what she is eating with no crazy additives.

Cherilynn

CherFineArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #8
bokitty

bokitty is on a distinguished road

Cherfineart-- what breed of dog is yours??

bokitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:04 AM   #9
Michele

Michele is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Michele
Quote:
but they like carrots and green beans the best-
JC loves carrots and green beans. At one point, I cooked for JC but now he's on Royal Canine. He had urinary track issues so my vet put him on this and he's doing great!

http://www.canine-chat.com/community/index.php
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Animal-Chat/451315031618064?ref=hl
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:44 AM   #10
CherFineArt

CherFineArt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokitty View Post
Cherfineart-- what breed of dog is yours??
She is a Boston Terrier/Chihuahua mix, really a fun, active, and loving little girl.

Cherilynn

CherFineArt is offline   Reply With Quote