Dog Forum  

Go Back   Dog Forum - DiscussDogs.com > >

Old 01-26-2012, 11:48 PM   #1
puplove

puplove is on a distinguished road
Stress free trip tips?

I would love everyone's advice on this.
In a few weeks time we will be driving down south and taking Guinness with us. We will stay at least one night in a pet friendly hotel.
He is fine in the car so I don't anticipate any problems there and we will stop for breaks to let him have some exercise and potty breaks and food/water breaks. What I am concerned with is the stay over at the hotel and then the first night at the new house.
I have had him at the cottage before and he was great after the first day/night but always the first night anywhere new he is anxious. He paces and sometimes barks out just a little or whines at every little noise and has a very hard time settling. The second night he is fine and totally settled. The problem is we will be driving such a long distance that we will need our sleep ( esp hubby). If the dog paces and makes noise all night it will not be good for the long drive the next day. ( two grumpy sleepy people )
I have been reading about the calming tapes and also the sprays and collars that emit the hormones. What do you think would work best for him or do you think we will just have to grin and bare it? I also feel bad for him that he feels so out of his comfort zone. Like I said he has always adjusted pretty quickly but if you have any advice that will make the trip easier it would be appreciated.

puplove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:29 AM   #2
PapiMama

PapiMama is on a distinguished road

We've done lots and lots of traveling with Mabel. Lucky for us she isn't a whiner barker to begin with so strange sounds and such do not bother her. What bothers her is being in her crate and in the same room with us when it's bedtime.

At home she's downstairs in her crate at night and we are upstairs in our bed. But in a hotel she can see us and wants to be with us. She will start doing this pitiful little whine that turns into this grunting noise that sounds just like a baby 'gator. LOL

Of course we would give in and put her in the bed with us.... then all she wated to do was play. LOL

Soooo, what we do now is have a full hour plus of playtime in the hotel room. We play ball, tug, cover monster and Easter eggs (hiding treats all over the room for her to find). Then she has dinner and a walk to do potty business. Then hubby and I do our nightly getting ready for bed routine while the other plays a low key game of ball with her. Once we are both ready for bed I'll get a very warm wash rag and wash her face and ears. ( I have to wash her face everyday at home and I'd noticed it relaxed her and she's usually take a nap after. LOL )

Then we put her in the bed with us and she's out like a light and sleeps till morning. Sometimes she'll stay in bed under the covers and we'll have to wake her up. LOL

So in a nut shell, we wear her out, fill up her belly, drain residual energy,wash her face and treat her to sleeping with us.

PapiMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:08 PM   #3
puplove

Thanks Papi for the reply. I guess we can try to wear him out although being such a big dog I would need more space than the hotel room. Maybe there will be lots of space to take him for a looooooong walk around before bed and we will do some mental exercises too. But I really would like to know if the spray or collar would help. We will get a room with two doubles and he can have one to sleep on . That will make him happy

Old 01-27-2012, 08:41 PM   #4
rubydooby

rubydooby is on a distinguished road

I've heard dogs find the scent of lavender and vanilla relaxing. Obviously don't go spraying the dog directly (you know that but just his bedding or around the area he's meant to be sleeping in. You could definitely try it out! Good luck!

rubydooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:21 PM   #5
PapiMama

Wish I could give you some info on the spray or collar pup. Never used either tho.

BTW, is this a little vacation you're going on?

Old 01-31-2012, 11:41 AM   #6
Kat

Kat is on a distinguished road

Let me know if you find something that helps We are taking a trip to Texas around the end of may and still havent decided weather or not too take the dogs because of a similar issue

saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever"

~~~~KAT~~~~
"

Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:00 PM   #7
beachrat

beachrat is on a distinguished road

I have heard and read good things about the "thunder" wraps, but have not tried one on my dogs personally. (They are for storms, firecrackers, shooting, if those things bother a dog, and I have one who gets very nervous [but I am working instead on training her out of it].)

beachrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:27 PM   #8
StarfishSaving
DD_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

StarfishSaving is on a distinguished road

Thundershirts can have a great calming effect on the dog, they're not just good for thunderstorms, although part of the reason they work for thunderstorms is because they help keep the dog from getting static in the fur and that doesn't apply to other things. The pressure, the feel of being wrapped, is found to be soothing by animals (and people, especially many autistic people.)

DAP sprays or diffusers can work wonders but it is dog dependent. I would definitely try Rescue Remedy, though, as it usually works really well.

-Crystal with CGCs: Sammy, George, Sally, Dover and Toby and foster Tricksy
Rescue owner, professional trainer, shelter consultant

Getting Started on the Forum (and how to post pics)
Forum Rules
StarfishSaving is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:54 PM   #9
puplove

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapiMama View Post
Wish I could give you some info on the spray or collar pup. Never used either tho.

BTW, is this a little vacation you're going on?
Yes ma'am. A few weeks down to your sunny south. I guess this makes me a Snowbird now

Thanks everyone for the advice. Would you know where I can get Rescue remedy? Hope I can get it in a store instead of online.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:39 PM   #10
PapiMama

Eeeeeee!! Are you coming to VA Beach, puplove??

We have lots and lots of Canuck's here in the winter.