Dog Forum  

Go Back   Dog Forum - DiscussDogs.com > >

Old 01-14-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
Secondchances

Secondchances is on a distinguished road
Meet our lovely rescue dog MaeMae - Updated with pics!

So I haven't been on here in forever - I guess I've been a bit busy! We had our meet and greet with a basset hound 12/17 and we loved her so much that we didn't let her go back to her foster home! We ADORE her! Her name is MaeMae and she's a litttle over 2 years old.

The first two years of her life she lived outside and made puppies. :-( But now she is part of a real home. She had been in a foster home for a few months prior to coming to us. She spent Christmas with us as part of a real family. She's such a love. Right now she's lying on the floor by my feet while I fiddle around on the computer.

I started Family Dog class today. MaeMae did not get to come today. It was for handlers only. The lady who runs it is an all positive reinforcement type trainer, so I'm happy about that as that's my chosen way to do things! MaeMae and I have started to work on a few things, mainly "sit", "leave it", and some recall. She knows her name and will mostly come when I call her name. Sometimes I have to crinkle the treat bag to get her to make up her mind that she wants to listen! We're working on housetraining. She averages 1-2 pee accidents a day. But given that she had a doggie door in the foster home, she's not had real training in holding it, signaling to go out, etc...so it's going to be a process and I've already seen good progress!

She has the most wonderful and loving temperament. She can be a bit skittish at times, but the longer she's been here the more confident we've seen her become. Probably the scariest thing for her is my 4 year old at times. Being a four year old boy he's great at jumping off the couch, running laps through the house, and otherwise being obnoxious. So his unpredictability can make her a bit nervous, but mostly she does okay with him. She's great with the daycare kiddos.

I read a book "Living with Kids and Dogs without losing your mind" and have been using that as a guide to make sure that she and the kiddos interact appropriately.

She's a cuddler. She climbed onto my lap for the first time the other night. There was hardly any room but she found a way to situate that big basset butt of hers on top of my lap while I sat with my infant on the couch!

I could go on and on, but I guess I can save some things for later posts as you're sure to hear more about her!

I only have a minute. I'm uploading pics to photobucket, so when I get a chance later I'll come back and put pics up!

Last edited by Secondchances; 01-15-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Secondchances is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:00 PM   #2
puplove

puplove is on a distinguished road

So glad to hear the adoption is going well. I hope you have many happy years with Maemae. By the way that is an unusual name. Did you name her or was that already her name?

puplove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:55 PM   #3
vonissk
DD_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

vonissk is on a distinguished road

Oh Second that is awesome awesome news. Thank you so much for coming back and sharing with us. I know you are going to be busier then ever but when you get your chanced please come over and update us. And yes I can't wait to see pics. Yes he does have an unusual name but I like it. I was sitting here trying it out and my guys were looking around like who ya talking to mom..................

U-CH PTD Auggie vom Texomaland OFA Good
U-CH Marybecks Mauli Ishto von Issk OFA Good/Normal
www.vonisskshepherds.com

vonissk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:52 PM   #4
StarfishSaving
DD_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

StarfishSaving is on a distinguished road

I typed out a long post, it got deleted. I don't know if I have the energy to repeat it, lol. In short: congratulations, MaeMae is a good name, I hope things continue to go well!

-Crystal with CGCs: Sammy, George, Sally, Dover and Toby and foster Tricksy
Rescue owner, professional trainer, shelter consultant

Getting Started on the Forum (and how to post pics)
Forum Rules
StarfishSaving is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:56 AM   #5
GingeryDaveysmom

GingeryDaveysmom is on a distinguished road

That is awesome news! I am so glad that you found a good match for your family. I can't wait to see pictures of her.

My names Amanda. Whats yours? LOL

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole." - Roger Caras

GingeryDaveysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:10 PM   #6
Secondchances

Her original name was Brownie Mae. She was Mae at the foster home. We were set to change her name and had a few ideas, but hubby started calling her his Maemae...and it kind of stuck!

Old 01-15-2012, 04:11 PM   #7
Secondchances

Old 01-15-2012, 05:59 PM   #8
GingeryDaveysmom

GingeryDaveysmom is on a distinguished road

Oh I just love her face and ears!

My names Amanda. Whats yours? LOL

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole." - Roger Caras

GingeryDaveysmom is offline   Reply With Quote