Dog Forum  

Go Back   Dog Forum > >

Old 01-10-2012, 08:53 PM   #1
Duchess_007
DD_MODERATOR.png

Duchess_007 is on a distinguished road
Oh Advice!

So...

As I was making the rounds on my various forums tonight (Catching up after the routine of classes sets back in!) I stumbled upon an interesting thread about a vague conflict I won't mention I happened upon a well-intentioned though completely off-base remark. It totally threw me off, and ranked up there with one of the worst pieces of advice I've probably ever heard. So of course being the curious person I am I started to wonder about all the other ridiculous remarks other people have heard..

Which lead me to wonder...

What's the BEST piece of dog-related advice you've ever overheard or been told?

Old 01-10-2012, 11:53 PM   #2
vonissk
DD_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

vonissk is on a distinguished road

If you laugh Duchess I will disown you. LOL But this is the best advice I know--you have to feed and care for a dog whether it is a mutt or a purebred so might as well go for the best.....................

vonissk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:25 AM   #3
PapiMama

PapiMama is on a distinguished road

I've been thinking about this question since last night and I can't come up with just one piece of advice. I know I've gotten lots of good advice here about behavior and health.

PapiMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
Lola2010

Lola2010 is on a distinguished road

The best peice of advice I can offer is trust your instincts. I knew when I got my puppy it was the right time for me and Lola to get her a pal and I knew a puppy was right and I was pretty sure a springer was the way to go. Everyone said it was too soon, to get an older dog, and not to go for a springer but now everyone is amazed at how much happier and calmer Lola is with Roxy around. And the whole food thing with Roxy, I knew my puppy was not really right when I took her to the vets and look what those results turned up.

Lola2010 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:03 PM   #5
Lucille

Lucille is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess_007 View Post
one of the worst pieces of advice I've probably ever heard.
Dying to know what it was, spill lol.

Best advice? From Shakespeare but I don't think he was talking about dogs: "This above all, to thine own self be true. "

It sort of fits though, because you realized the bad dog advice for what it was, and didn't fall for it.
Lucille is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:13 PM   #6
vonissk
DD_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

vonissk is on a distinguished road

Lucille that is one of my favorite sayings. My dad also had one sort of like that--it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks as long as you know you are being righteous and honest...........those both could be doggy ones....

vonissk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:05 PM   #7
GingeryDaveysmom

GingeryDaveysmom is on a distinguished road

Umm I can't think of a doggie one but I have a bad fish one that I read on a forum from a new member from another country it was,"Its healthier for the fish for your water to be green and dirty than to be clear and clean."

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole." - Roger Caras
GingeryDaveysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:32 PM   #8
Duchess_007
DD_MODERATOR.png

Duchess_007 is on a distinguished road

I've been thinking about it too. I think it was probably my Dad, something super simple and really universal. After my wolfhound Jessie died after his second heart attack at 3. I was so devastated and was just so absorbed with it that I came almost morbid about my other dogs, worried that they would die, or when they would die etc. And my Dad kinda snapped me out of it in his abrupt way - "Andi, you're being stupid. So if those dogs died tomorrow what would you do? Would you sit here crying about it or would you get off your butt and make the most of your time with them?!"

I have my little moments with Ralph too, he does something cute. Or I watch Pat snuggling with him and suddenly get really sad thinking about him passing away. That's when I think about what my Dad said and I get my butt off the couch and snuggle on the floor with them. It's actually something I think about alot now with my elderly grandparents.

That and - Tension travels down the leash! - Pretty common saying and I heard it a ton growing up. But it's true! LOL

Lucille - It wasn't anything really over the top, but it was pertaining to a super serious situation involving escalating aggression, where serious injuries were occuring (stitching needed) and the response was just very nonchalant basic leadership/dominance speech with the poster going on about how they could interrupt their dogs with voice.. which is great if you weren't dealing with the intensity of the OP's situation... And then the adviser backtracked to mention that they couldn't keep dogs in the same room with food or high value items. I dunno, I'm of the camp that if you're going to actively give advice you should at least be able to practice what you preach so to speak. It just kind of frustrated me.

Amanda - Why is that? I always wondered! My brother accidently killed his fish as a kid by doing a major cleanout of a nasty green fishbowl.

Last edited by Duchess_007; 01-11-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Duchess_007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:57 PM   #9
GingeryDaveysmom

GingeryDaveysmom is on a distinguished road

Duchess-Its not a true saying. Fish are happier and healthier with clean water. What happened with your brothers fish was probably due to a major change in the ph, or temp or something like that. I do a partial water change on all my tanks once a week to keep them happy and healthy. I mean I know I would not want to swim arround in a tank full of my poo and pee so I am sure fish would not want to either. ; )

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole." - Roger Caras
GingeryDaveysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:52 PM   #10
JoyWilly122

JoyWilly122 is on a distinguished road

Best piece of advice I’ve ever got was to switch to a natural dog food and stop buying the grocery store brand I thought was complete nutrition, but it wasn’t. It was my sister who pointed this out to me and suggested Natural Balance Ultra to me, and we’ve never looked back. Dogs have way more energy now and their coats are so full and shiny!

JoyWilly122 is offline   Reply With Quote