Dog Forum  

Go Back   Dog Forum - DiscussDogs.com > >

Old 07-24-2011, 11:00 AM   #1
cbv20
Puppy

cbv20 is on a distinguished road
Yearly vaccinations

I was wondering if the Canine 5 in 1 (DA2PP) is the appropriate vaccination for dogs yearly? Also speaking with a neighbor who happens to have 10+ dogs just like me (except mines are all mixed ones), he told me that he just ordered the vaccines online because it was more affordable. So i went online and noticed that you can actually buy them there.

So with 11 dogs for me it seems that it is more than affordable but my question is if it's a safe way to do it and if has anyone tried this?

Man, I just joined yesterday and I've already find myself asking too many questions

cbv20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:49 PM   #2
StarfishSaving
Mostly-benevolent Admin
DD_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

StarfishSaving is on a distinguished road

Yes, it is okay to give them at home but you need to have your vet show you how unless this neighbor next door has professional training.

I do not give vaccines annually. I suggest that unless you intend to take up following the latest vaccine research as a hobby, you consider following the AAHA guidelines: http://www.aahanet.org/publicdocumen...s06revised.pdf

Dr. Jean Dodds suggests titering every three years, which can be expensive, so unless you have an immune compromised dog you may wish to simply vaccinate every three years, or take your chances and not vaccinate for anything as long as they've been boostered as adults. Titering is the very best thing you can do. They will still require yearly veterinary exams, however- dogs age very quickly in comparison to adults and it is very easy for us to miss symptoms of medical issues.

-Crystal with CGCs: Sammy, George, Sally, Dover and Toby and foster Tricksy
Rescue owner, professional trainer, shelter consultant

Getting Started on the Forum (and how to post pics)
Forum Rules
StarfishSaving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:52 PM   #3
cbv20
Puppy

Thanks!

I'm a little confused as to if I really need to vaccinate my dogs, they're really not overexposed to anything outside my house, my neighbor has dogs there's only a fence separating my dogs from them but I believe he is very responsible with his boys, he was the one who offered me to buy me the vaccines online for a cheaper cost.

A couple of weeks ago one of my girls got sick and I took her to the vet and I was asked about her vaccines so that was what got me thinking if I should vaccinate all of them. All my dogs haven't been vaccinated in years, except for the rabbies vaccine which I think they got it last year.

I've been reading a lot through the web, lots of people talk about what side effects their dogs have had after vaccinations, there was even an article written by a vet that was a very interesting read, which if I'm allowed by this forum I would be glad to post it for everyone.

I'd never heard about the titer test, I'm amazed at what you can learn in places like this and the web overall, don't know if these things are done here in Mexico, will have to ask a vet. Again, my main concern is to perform something on my dogs if it's not really needed and also that I have 11 dogs and it will definately hurt my pocket, but of course I will spend if I have to.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:00 PM   #4
StarfishSaving
Mostly-benevolent Admin
DD_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Sure, you may post the article you found.

There is a world of information on the internet and many pet owners are better off going to a forum or specific email list for very specific issues than to a general-practitioner vet (K9Kidneys saved my sanity while going through my 15yo foster-turned-adoptee Callie's kidney disease) but you have to be careful. People like me are happy to share the information we've gathered but without any source info (and I'll be the first to admit that I don't usually include it) you still need to do your own research. I'm not a vet, an expert or a genius, and neither are most people on the internet

This is the way I feel about it:

Immunizing and vaccinating are two different things. We tend to intertwine them but we should not do that. Vaccination just means giving the vaccine, and the result of that is not always immunization. Immunization is in the "how" and "when" and "what" of the act. To be sure your dogs are properly immunized, you need to give them vaccines at certain points in time. Generally speaking, you'd want to give your DA2PPv (without Lepto or coronavirus, unless they are very prevalent in your area) at around 9-10 weeks and then again 3 or 4 weeks later with puppies and once after they are 16 weeks or older, and then at 1 year, and then titer every year until the dog is geriatric. Rabies vaccines should be given at a different time, 3 or 4 weeks apart, from the other vaccines to lower your dog's exposure to the serum and immune-mediated side effects that lead to hypersensitivity and vaccinosis. If your dog is already immunized (which can only be determined with an antibody titer) then why on earth would you want to vaccinate them again?

Rabies vaccine protocol is tricky because in the US, it is dependent on state laws. You would have to see if there is a local or federal law in Mexico (or heck, a law just for Tijuana) that would create an issue for you. If you travel with your dogs across the border, you may want to adhere to CA's laws if they are more strict, just in case.

Forum Rules
Old 07-25-2011, 04:52 PM   #5
EDH
besteverdog

EDH is on a distinguished road

Once your dog is an adult, titer tests every three years is the way to go. It may be a bit pricey but think of the money you will save in vet bills because you wont be over vaccinating your dog.
Why vaccinate? Every year? No! and if your vet say otherwise, may I please suggest, Get another vet!
There is much to pondered on the issue of vaccinations never mind that of to Vaccinate or not to Vaccinate. Just Google Vaccination debate, over vaccinating or the like and you will be sure to get months of reading back.
I'm not saying don't vaccinate but the majority dogs don't need vaccinations annually. Under rare circumstances, maybe but even then annually is way too often IMHO.

Here is Some Valuable info::
How Often Should my Dog Receive Vaccination
What Vaccinations Should My Dog Receive and How Often?

EDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:22 PM   #6
cbv20
Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDH View Post
Once your dog is an adult, titer tests every three years is the way to go. It may be a bit pricey but think of the money you will save in vet bills because you wont be over vaccinating your dog.
Why vaccinate? Every year? No! and if your vet say otherwise, may I please suggest, Get another vet!
There is much to pondered on the issue of vaccinations never mind that of to Vaccinate or not to Vaccinate. Just Google Vaccination debate, over vaccinating or the like and you will be sure to get months of reading back.
I'm not saying don't vaccinate but the majority dogs don't need vaccinations annually. Under rare circumstances, maybe but even then annually is way too often IMHO.

Here is Some Valuable info::
How Often Should my Dog Receive Vaccination
What Vaccinations Should My Dog Receive and How Often?
That was what got me thinking, why vaccinate? When I took one of my girls to the vet a couple of weeks ago I was asked if she had been vaccinated this year, I answered no and was told it was recommended to do it, but I haven't vaccinated my dogs in years, except for the rabbies, and I can't recall having a health issue with the dogs that were vaccinated since they were puppies.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:36 PM   #7
EDH
besteverdog

EDH is on a distinguished road
Differs from Contry to Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbv20 View Post
That was what got me thinking, why vaccinate? When I took one of my girls to the vet a couple of weeks ago I was asked if she had been vaccinated this year, I answered no and was told it was recommended to do it, but I haven't vaccinated my dogs in years, except for the rabbies, and I can't recall having a health issue with the dogs that were vaccinated since they were puppies.
I feel for you. Perhaps get a second, maybe third opinion but the bottom line is some jurisdictions make you get vacs. apparently by law. So what are they going to do if you don't get them?
If I were you I wouldn't hesitate to find myself a holistic vet in your area. Even if you have to drive for an hour or so (I do). They can keep you up to speed on whats what with the Vaccinations and have some ways around them, legally. Check it out. Outcome heavily depends on where you reside.
I am in Canada so isn't as bad as the U.S.A yet.

Even if I travel stateside, with my dog, I have to have documents showing she has All the vacs. Some I haven't bothered judging by her likelihood of exposure. She is healthy and young.

The last shots I got for my dog was late last year. She turned four in May 2011. Titers from here on in.

Get a holistic vet and by all means exercise your rights.
EDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:11 PM   #8
StarfishSaving
Mostly-benevolent Admin
DD_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbv20 View Post
I haven't vaccinated my dogs in years, except for the rabbies, and I can't recall having a health issue with the dogs that were vaccinated since they were puppies.
Well, not having health issues does not have anything to do with being immune to diseases. Before you can say "I'm not going to vaccinate anymore," the only responsible thing to do is verify your dogs' immunity. Once that's done, you can take whatever route necessary to keep them safe.

Holistic vets definitely are more in tune with this stuff, that's for sure.

Forum Rules
Old 07-26-2011, 08:43 AM   #9
TxDog
Administrator

TxDog is on a distinguished road

I only vaccinate for Rabies and it is good for 3 years. They also get a bordetella (Kennel Cough) 'shot' if they have to be kenneled or go to the vet for any reason.

Otherwise, they see no shots and only go to the vet if needed.

TxDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:16 AM   #10
PapiMama
The Butterfly Queen

PapiMama is on a distinguished road

Great thread and lots of info I needed here. Being a new dog owner I really haven't a clue as to what my girl needs? I will be honest and tell you I hate to have my cats vaccinated, even for rabies since they are indoor ONLY. They never go outside. So far i've managed to not have them vaccinated for a long time. However, when I have to take them to the vet they really ride my a$$ about it. I've even had one vet's office refuse to see my cats because I refused to vaccinate them.

In the state of VA it's the law that all dogs and cats be vaccinated for rabies and the vets use that against you. Also, here in VA Beach the city requires every vets office to report the names of the owners that bring animals in to get rabies shots. They started this about 2 years ago so that they could keep track of how many animals a person owned and make the person pay taxes on their animals. Cats even have to be licensed here. Damn gov't always in your business. ARGH!!

After having to put 3 of my cats to sleep within a year because they had cancer I started to research. I am confident they all got cancer because they were vaccinated on a regular basis with everything the vet suggested.

Anyway, I am getting to my point/question... LOL Looking at Mabel's papers this is what is says she's due for come Nov....

DA2PP
Leptospirosis (WTH is that?)
Rabies booster

I know I have to get her rabies but what about the other 2? And how about kennel cough?

Thanks ya'll!!

PapiMama is offline   Reply With Quote