Dog Forum  

Go Back   Dog Forum - DiscussDogs.com > >

Old 04-30-2010, 09:17 AM   #1
JWill2
Puppy

JWill2 is on a distinguished road
Dog dying of old age, can I feed him GOOD food now?

All of my dogs life we never fed him human food (he'd grab some whenever hed get the chance), but now its pretty obvious hes dying any day now.

Can I start feeding him human food (since he LOVES it)?
Or in his state will it just be too hard for his body to digest and handle?

Im thinking meat or really anything that isnt human food, he loves all food that's not dog food.

Also if anyone has a better place for me to post this than here that'd be great, thanks!

JWill2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:24 AM   #2
vonissk
Grey Muzzle
DD_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

vonissk is on a distinguished road

I would say if that is what he will eat then go for it. I would suggest things like boiled chicken and rice or hamburger and rice--things that are easier on his stomach. There is a member on here who cooks for an older dog everyday and maybe she will have more suggestions on things to cook. I feed my dogs regular dry food but for supper they always get some human food as a topping. I mostly do soups, stews and rice based dishes. Sorry to hear about your dog--they never stick around long enough.

vonissk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:20 AM   #3
StarfishSaving
Mostly-benevolent Admin
DD_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

StarfishSaving is on a distinguished road

Uh oh, I don't know if I can come out of this without sounding harsh. Please know that I am simply concerned for your dog, I am not being judgmental.

"Old age" isn't a disease. Dogs don't die of "old age." Things in their body start to shut down but these are things that can cause pain if left alone, and that can sometimes be treated if you take action. If a dog is showing signs of discomfort or illness, it is the guardian's responsibility to take him to the vet and take care of him. I have a 15 year old dog I just recently adopted in chronic renal failure. She would have already been dead but now she's doing great with the management protocol I've started her on. I've heard many people with kidney dogs say that their management has practically STOPPED the decline of the kidneys, and most of those people have dogs that have made it to 16-18 even after diagnosis, including large dogs. So "old age" is often something that can be treated. It sounds like it may already be too late for this conversation, though.

If you really expect he's going to die, then sure, feed him things like meat, veggies, heck even junk food if that's what he wants. Try to make it fairly bland so you don't upset his stomach. Not greasy or spicy foods, obviously! My kidney dog eats a lot of chicken, sweet potatoes and veggies, and for snacks she gets everything from hot dogs, cereal and potato chips to 'Nilla Wafers. She also gets egg whites for lunch each day.

I really would consider taking him to the vet. First, this could be something that can be helped and he could actually regain quality of life. Second, the vet could offer euthanasia if nothing else so he's not just lying there dying slowly. If his kidneys or other vitals are shutting down, he could be in pain. I know some folks believe in the whole romantic, noble notion behind letting them go "naturally" and that euthanasia is awful, but I feel like allowing my pets' last days to be miserable would be the greatest disservice I could do them.

-Crystal with CGCs: Sammy, George, Sally, Dover and Toby and foster Tricksy
Rescue owner, professional trainer, shelter consultant

Getting Started on the Forum (and how to post pics)
Forum Rules
StarfishSaving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:45 AM   #4
jonzman
<3 Doggies

jonzman is on a distinguished road

Nice posts, both of you.

One thing that struck me, as I was reading them, especially Stars', is that we're perfectly fine helping a dog pass over with dignity, but someone like my grandfather had to suffer through to the very end as cancer took him.

Why on earth is it ok to euthanize a dog but giving a human that same compassion and dignity is wrong? We're so messed up.

(It's 5:40am here and I'm up and about to go golfing, so forgive me if this makes no sense.)

jonzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:54 AM   #5
rutylr
L-Train's Mom

rutylr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzman View Post
Nice posts, both of you.

One thing that struck me, as I was reading them, especially Stars', is that we're perfectly fine helping a dog pass over with dignity, but someone like my grandfather had to suffer through to the very end as cancer took him.

Why on earth is it ok to euthanize a dog but giving a human that same compassion and dignity is wrong? We're so messed up.

(It's 5:40am here and I'm up and about to go golfing, so forgive me if this makes no sense.)
We were just discussing this at work yesterday..
When I knew it was time for my Zelda,we layed around all weekend in bed eating Chocolate and what ever else she wanted...It's time I can now remember with a smile and then with tears...
Multi BPIM,RBPIM,UCH Dragoon RLPX,AOE-P,
RN,HIC
AKC Breeder of Merit
rutylr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:40 AM   #6
StarfishSaving
Mostly-benevolent Admin
DD_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

StarfishSaving is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzman View Post
Excellent, excellent question and you are not alone. I wish I knew an easy answer but if I were to sit here and ponder this with you, it would lead to a very long post/thread. I could certainly bring up everything from dogs being considered lesser beings and property right up to religion and government. Phew!

To the OP, whom I hope I haven't scared away completely, I hope your dog is no longer ill or suffering and that you've both got some peace, no matter what the outcome has been.

-Crystal with CGCs: Sammy, George, Sally, Dover and Toby and foster Tricksy
Rescue owner, professional trainer, shelter consultant

Getting Started on the Forum (and how to post pics)
Forum Rules
StarfishSaving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:08 PM   #7
Ozzy29
Adolescent

Ozzy29 is on a distinguished road

I am really sorry to hear about your friend..and if it was my pal I would feed him anything he wanted! I wonder if a dog has a bucket list? Maybe human food is on his!

Ozzy29 is offline   Reply With Quote