Dog Forum  

Go Back   Dog Forum - DiscussDogs.com > >

Old 12-16-2008, 08:01 PM   #1
Poof

Poof is on a distinguished road
Your Dogs Name: Why You Chose The Dog Name You Did

Since behind most dog names there's an interesting story, is there a story behind why you gave your dog the name that you did?

Here's my Labs story…

My wife and I were at a club one night and when we were leaving we heard the whimper of a little puppy from somewhere in the parking lot. After MUCH searching we found this incredibly cute Black Lab pup that someone had abandoned and was hiding under a car.

We couldn’t leave it there so we took it home (it slept all the way home on my wifes lap) and proceeded to try and find it's owner the next day.

Well it didn't take long for us to hope that the owner wouldn't claim it, as we were growing fond of it, and of course, we couldn't turn it into the pound, so we did what any rational dog lover would do…we kept it!

So what name did we give it? Since it took us soooo long to find her hiding under the cars that night, we decided that the name Heidi (as in hide-e) would fit!

Needless to say, because she's grown quite a bit since then…she can't "hide" anymore!

So what's the story behind your dogs name? Or at the very least, why did you choose what you did?

Do Tell!

Poof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:26 PM   #2
DoggyMom

DoggyMom is on a distinguished road

Well, I didn't choose my dog's name, but here is the story:

Lily's Story:

We had been searching for a puppy for a while before we adopted Lily. We wanted a shelter dog, but many shelter dogs are older, since puppies get snatched up right away. After visiting friends up north, we decided to visit a few shelters on the way home. The last shelter we looked, in a cage in the back of the shelter, by herself, was Lily. A black fuzzy bundle of yips, one blue eye, one gold, wagging her little tail at us. My husband and I got to go into the "get-to-know" rooms, where Lily crawled up into my husband's lap and promptly fell asleep. That was our decisive moment, we adopted her right then and there. She was 7 weeks old. Now, 6 years later, she is my confident, my best bud (next to my husband, that is!)
I am so glad we decided to stop at that shelter that night.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:02 PM   #3
StarfishSaving
DD_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

StarfishSaving is on a distinguished road

I did not name a single one of my dogs. All came with their names.

-Crystal with CGCs: Sammy, George, Sally, Dover and Toby and foster Tricksy
Rescue owner, professional trainer, shelter consultant

Getting Started on the Forum (and how to post pics)
Forum Rules
StarfishSaving is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:07 AM   #4
Tulip

Tulip is on a distinguished road

We named Freddy Friedrich because it's a German name and he's a German breed.

Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:46 AM   #5
Clark

Lucy was named after the character Lucy in the Narnia books/movies. She has lived up that personality- faithful, loving, and wise.

Zoey was already named but it was spelled differently. I added the "y" on the end.

My husband named George. I don't want to talk about him though so I'll leave it at that.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:17 AM   #6
rutylr

rutylr is on a distinguished road

I give my big scary dogs names to make them more public friendly.
My first Rottweiler was named Jorge(George).Plus each dog after follows the alphabit for the litteres I've had.
I've had Agatha,Artur
Beatrix,Beulah
Cornelius(corndog)Clementine
Dudley,Daphney,Dasiey Lou
and now Elwood.

Multi BPIM,RBPIM,UCH Dragoon RLPX,AOE-P,
RN,HIC
AKC Breeder of Merit
rutylr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:44 AM   #7
Tulip

Tulip is on a distinguished road

Those are lovely names. I admire you for breeding, would love to discuss it further.

Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:19 PM   #8
rutylr

rutylr is on a distinguished road

I'm open for any questions good and bad,as I have made misstakes in the past.I'm not proud of some things,but I have learned and hope to never make any more...

Multi BPIM,RBPIM,UCH Dragoon RLPX,AOE-P,
RN,HIC
AKC Breeder of Merit
rutylr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:37 PM   #9
Zephyr

Zephyr is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Zephyr

Mine is named after TV characters. Jack O'Neill and Daniel Jackson... though Captain Jack Sparrow suits his personality more.

Zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:25 AM   #10
Poof

Poof is on a distinguished road

Rutylr:

You said...

Quote:
My first Rottweiler was named Jorge(George).
I've always wondered why (you said you were open to questions) someone would name something a common name (like George) yet spell it differently...like Jorge?

I met a girl the other day who's parents named her Chrystal instead of the typical spelling Crystal. I asked her if her name was ever misspelled by others and she said alllll the time!

I will definitely say it looks like you put alot of time and effort into naming your dogs, which shows you to be a kind and caring owner!
Poof is offline   Reply With Quote