Dog Forum  

Go Back   Dog Forum - DiscussDogs.com > >

Old 05-01-2014, 04:37 PM   #1
avonnida

avonnida is on a distinguished road
Hey I am new here

Hey I don't have a GSD but I am getting one in May. I don't know what gender to get. Do you guys really prefer one gender over the other.

Sent from my iPod touch using Dog Forum

avonnida is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2014, 11:14 AM   #2
andrewkennedylive

andrewkennedylive is on a distinguished road

Just joined today. We rescued an adult Chiwawa and already have an adult Lab/Golden we rescued years ago. we have a small back yard and the female chiwawa will just not pee or poop outside. My wife has had it and this chiwawa is going to need a new home if we cannot figure this out. i travel two weeks a month and my wife is taking care of our three kids, the two dogs, etc. Is it a territorial thing? why won't she go outside???? The golden/lab is a male and they get along beutifully. HELP!

andrewkennedylive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:29 AM   #3
andrewkennedylive

andrewkennedylive is on a distinguished road

Chihuahua. Sorry!

andrewkennedylive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:37 PM   #4
diamah
DD_MODERATOR.png

diamah is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by avonnida View Post
Hey I don't have a GSD but I am getting one in May. I don't know what gender to get. Do you guys really prefer one gender over the other.
Hi, other than making sure the dog is neutered, I don't have any preferences personally. Good luck, and don't forget to post pics when the puppy arrives.
diamah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:05 PM   #5
diamah
DD_MODERATOR.png

diamah is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewkennedylive View Post
Just joined today. We rescued an adult Chiwawa and already have an adult Lab/Golden we rescued years ago. we have a small back yard and the female chiwawa will just not pee or poop outside. My wife has had it and this chiwawa is going to need a new home if we cannot figure this out. i travel two weeks a month and my wife is taking care of our three kids, the two dogs, etc. Is it a territorial thing? why won't she go outside???? The golden/lab is a male and they get along beutifully. HELP!
Hi Andrew, and welcome. Hope we can help you solve your problem.

First, do you have any idea what the dog's previous schedule was? Perhaps the previous owner had an indoor arrangement, so the dog never learned to go outside. Or maybe the dog was never properly house trained in the first place and that's why she ended up needing a new home.

Anyway, it sounds to me like you'll have to start house training all over again. You can probably get pretty far along during your two weeks at home, but your wife, and the kids if they're old enough, will need to be involved while you are gone.

Since most dogs don't like to mess in their "living area", keep the dog crated or confined, especially at night, unless you are directly supervising her. The area where the dog is confined needs to be fairly small; dogs will eliminate as far from their sleeping area as they deem necessary: for my dog, it's at least a 5 minute walk from the front door. For my BF's dog, it's outside the front door. For your dog, it may be 5 feet away, in any direction.

If she's been 'punished' for eliminating inside, she's possibly started to hide it. This isn't because she knows she shouldn't be going inside, but more likely that she doesn't know where she should be going so she's trying different places. If it's 'well-hidden' enough, then nothing bad happens (right away), so she thinks she's found the right spot. Even if it's found later, and she gets yelled at, she'll have no idea why. Now, you'd think "outside" would be her first guess as the "right place", but dogs don't think the way people do, she's going to go with what worked before, until someone explains to her in a way she can understand what she *should* be doing.

When the dog wakes up in the morning (hopefully in a clean, dry crate), leash her and take her outside and wait around till she goes - then give her a party - treats, pets, praise, really really happy. Repeat several times throughout the day, especially after meals and after naps. Don't free feed, else you'll have no way of knowing when "after a meal" is. If the dog messes in the house, don't punish the dog, just clean it up. After enough parties outside, the dog will figure out that saving all her business for outside is well worth the effort.

If the dog eliminates in her crate/confined area, there are three possibilities: 1: the crate is too big; 2: she has a physical issue, so a vet check would be in order; 3: she never learned the lesson not to eliminate in her sleeping area. This is something that backyard bred dogs often have an issue with, or dogs that were regularly left in confined areas until they weren't able to hold it anymore. If this is your dog's issue, you may never get her fully house trained (at least, that's what I've read), although you can make it better through training and management if you have the time and patience.

Given what sounds like a very busy household and depending on exactly what your dog's problem is, re-training her not be possible for you. Nonetheless, I urge you to contact a professional in your area, to evaluate your situation and help you make the best decision for your dog and your family.
diamah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:06 AM   #6
avonnida

avonnida is on a distinguished road

Thanks

Sent from my iPod touch using Dog Forum

avonnida is online now   Reply With Quote