Dog Forum  

Go Back   Dog Forum - DiscussDogs.com > >

Old 11-16-2017, 10:42 AM   #1
robinhood2017

robinhood2017 is on a distinguished road
Want to change to adult food slowly

Hi

My puppy is 7 years old and I have decided to start slowly changing his food to adult. Do a mixture of both for now

Any objection?

robinhood2017 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2017, 11:14 AM   #2
huskylove1995

huskylove1995 is on a distinguished road

Seven years old or seven weeks old or seven months old?
If your dog is really seven years old and not on adult dog food there could be a lot of health issue there.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

huskylove1995 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 02:35 PM   #3
SpicyBulldog

SpicyBulldog is on a distinguished road

Feed an all life stages food, never a need to wonder or switch, ect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskylove1995 View Post
Seven years old or seven weeks old or seven months old?
If your dog is really seven years old and not on adult dog food there could be a lot of health issue there.

What health issues? I kind of doubt this. It'd mean all life stages food would be unsafe for adult dogs because all life stages food be formula for puppies / pregnant females and branding of the same formula of food as puppy food Nutrisource small and medium breed puppy and as performance food Nutrisource Super performance wouldn't be allowed.
SpicyBulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 02:43 PM   #4
huskylove1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyBulldog View Post
Feed an all life stages food, never a need to wonder or switch, ect.

What health issues? I kind of doubt this. It'd mean all life stages food would be unsafe for adult dogs because all life stages food be formula for puppies / pregnant females and branding of the same formula of food as puppy food Nutrisource small and medium breed puppy and as performance food Nutrisource Super performance wouldn't be allowed.
I thought they where feeding puppy food to a seven year old dog. I mean there would be vitimans missing out of the food for the adult dog. Switching to an all stage dog food would be good. I agree with that :-) But puppy food is made for puppies. I know in all stage dog foods it has all the vitimans and minerals for all stages and the dog just uses what it needs out of it. :-)

Old 11-17-2017, 02:53 PM   #5
SpicyBulldog

Quote:
I thought they where feeding puppy food to a seven year old dog. I mean there would be vitimans missing out of the food for the adult dog. Switching to an all stage dog food would be good. I agree with that :-) But puppy food is made for puppies. I know in all stage dog foods it has all the vitimans and minerals for all stages and the dog just uses what it needs out of it. :-)

Then how can Nutrisource have a single formula of dog food that is marketed as two different foods as an adult food and as a puppy food. Does that mean it is an all life stages food with different labeling?
I believe adults need less so as far as the vitamins and minerals missing, the puppy food has more of that stuff is supposed to have more and be more nutritional (a crappy band probably isn't as healthy, though still must have the required vitamins). The info can probably be found online. Though it is what my vet said the reason why to feed pregnant females puppy food more essential vitamins, nutrients, say higher fat and protein BUT that's only compared to regular stilt maintenance food not to the high energy, sporting, ect type foods. She also recomends feeding under weight, sick or malnourished dogs puppy food.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:56 PM   #6
huskylove1995

Quote:
Then how can Nutrisource have a single formula of dog food that is marketed as two different foods as an adult food and as a puppy food. Does that mean it is an all life stages food with different labeling?
I believe adults need less so as far as the vitamins and minerals missing, the puppy food has more of that stuff is supposed to have more and be more nutritional (a crappy band probably isn't as healthy, though still must have the required vitamins). The info can probably be found online. Though it is what my vet said the reason why to feed pregnant females puppy food more essential vitamins, nutrients, say higher fat and protein BUT that's only compared to regular stilt maintenance food not to the high energy, sporting, ect type foods
Oh WOW yeah okay ignore what I said and follow what @Spicybulldog is saying I was wrong. You got me once they get puppy food when pregnant goodness I feel like an idiot now. I obviously didn't think about what I said before I said it because that's common sense. I'm sorry Feed an all stage food

Old 11-17-2017, 03:00 PM   #7
SpicyBulldog

Quote:
Oh WOW yeah okay ignore what I said and follow what @Spicybulldog is saying I was wrong. You got me once they get puppy food when pregnant goodness I feel like an idiot now. I obviously didn't think about what I said before I said it because that's common sense. I'm sorry Feed an all stage food

I don't know if they actually meant to type 7 months also? I will say you could be right about one thing on health obesity, most puppy food has more calories and fat so might be too much for a senior. Though it's not always the case depending on breed and activity.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:10 PM   #8
huskylove1995

Quote:
I don't know if they actually meant to type 7 months also? I will say you could be right about one thing on health obesity, most puppy food has more calories and fat so might be too much for a senior. Though it's not always the case depending on breed and activity.
Yeah obesity I just really wish I knew if that was actually what was being said 7 months or 7 years??