Dog Forum  

Go Back   Dog Forum - DiscussDogs.com > >

Old 12-18-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
collie14

collie14 is on a distinguished road
Help getting rescue puppy to play with humans

Hi I have a pitbull mix puppy who we adopted about 2 months a go and she is now 5 months old. She came from a foster based rescue and they got her when she was 8 weeks old with her brothers and sisters. She loves other dogs and we have a collie who is a dominant dog. They get along wonderfully. My problem is that even though she loves to cuddle and be with me I still cannot bond with her completely. She usually would rather sleep outside rather then be with me and she basically refuses to play at all unless our older dog is playing to. I've tried everything to get her to play without my older dog who does not enjoy playing much, but she refuses. I'm at a loss I've tried treats but nothing seems to work. She even refuses to play tug a war. Any ideas or experience? Thank you.

collie14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
Michele

Michele is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Michele

Be patient. And even with patience, some dogs are just a little more aloof than others. Is this your first terrier type dog?

http://www.canine-chat.com/community/index.php
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Animal-Chat/451315031618064?ref=hl
Michele is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
diamah
DD_MODERATOR.png

diamah is on a distinguished road

Hi OP,
My dog isn't a "player" either. When he's in the mood, he'll play tug for 10 or 15 minutes, and if I have treats he'll play "retrieve" until he gets bored or I run out of treats. He loves to play chase and wrestle with other dogs, but humans are just too slow and fragile for really good doggie games. He'll humor us sometimes but mostly he just wags his tail politely when we try to get him to play. He was rescued at about 6 weeks, and I got him when he was about 5 months old, and it took a few months to get him to play with me at all. I also felt he didn't bond with me completely for many months; he didn't ask for affection, though obviously enjoyed it when offered and he spent most of his first two years with me voluntarily sleeping in a different room - he probably would have been happier outside, but he was never given that choice. It's only been the last few months that he's ok sleeping in the bedroom or on the bed with me, and it's only been the last few weeks that's he's pro-actively started asking for affection.

diamah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:29 PM   #4
Duchess_007
DD_MODERATOR.png

Duchess_007 is on a distinguished road

Ralph is pretty aloof as well. I can count on a few fingers how many kisses he's given me through the duration of his life. He's affectionate in his own way though.

He was about 2 when he learned how to tug. It took him a while to understand the game as when any tension was usually applied he would just drop the object, "You want it? Ok."

I basically had to let him win... alot.... all the time LOL Eventually he learned that it could be a fun game, but even then he would prefer to play with another dog over most people. He can wrestle and try to fit other dogs' heads in his mouth.. that's generally frowned upon when he tries to do that with people

Old 12-18-2012, 08:45 PM   #5
Rach

Rach is on a distinguished road

Give it time.... she may never be one to play with toys... Godric loves his toys but Tulip would rather play with Godric than a toy.

I think in time she will bond with you.. I'm sure everything is still new to her.

Rach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:47 PM   #6
collie14

collie14 is on a distinguished road

One thing I forgot to mention is that she seems almost scared of me sometimes (even though she never leaves my side) when I reach down to pet her she will sometimes move to another spot I never noticed this before a couple days ago but nothing has changed...... And yes this is my first terrier type dog.

collie14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:50 AM   #7
Lola2010

Lola2010 is on a distinguished road

Maybe she moves to see you. Some dogs don't like you bending right over them, it is very threatening to them.

My beagle will play with dogs and she will wrestle with me but has never been interested in toys. Even a sausage filled sock is not worth tugging for!

Lola2010 is online now   Reply With Quote