Dog Forum  

Go Back   Dog Forum - DiscussDogs.com > >

Old 04-09-2012, 11:19 AM   #1
africam

africam is on a distinguished road
extremely timid rescue

We fostered a beagle mix female and decided to adopt her, but she is so afraid of everything. She hides under the bed most of the time, but enjoys her walks outside.
She will not take treats, she does not wag her tail, she does not bark, and is not aggressive in any way.
We are giving her lots of love and praise, while trying not to over-power her with attention.
We have had her for about 9 weeks with no real change. She can relax around us after a while, but if she is not with us for any length of time, it is like she does not know us and cowers or moves away until we can minimize her fear again.
Any suggestions?
africam

africam is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2012, 12:33 PM   #2
Michele

Michele is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Michele

Patience......

How old is she?

http://www.canine-chat.com/community/index.php
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Animal-Chat/451315031618064?ref=hl
Michele is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:15 PM   #3
Sian12

Sian12 is on a distinguished road

Poor baby! I hope she gets better in time. It sounds like she has had a very traumatic past and it will probably take a loong time for her to recover.

Sian12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:21 AM   #4
alishaM

alishaM is on a distinguished road

We rescued a 10 year old dachshund from a puppy mill that was going to "put her down" because the risk of producing puppies at her age. When I met the lady it took everything I had not to give her a nice bruise or 5 but I refrained and later gave all her information to my vet that turned her in. Any way she was the same way it was like she had all life sucked right out of her. It was so sad. On the way to our house she vomitted and had diaherra twice in her crate and all it contained was grass and small rocks! She also had 3 different types of worms. Our other dachshund Mr. Weenie bonded with her immediately which shocked us all because of his dominate attitude most small dogs have but its like he understood her pain. It took a long time for us to even get our hands on her and bathing her was a real hassle she kept trying to bite us but only has three teeth and weighed 4 lbs and we didn't know if she would ever overcome her fear. 9 months has passed and she is a completely different dog she loves life and thrives like a 2 year old. She couldn't be a better companion not only for my mother who is very ill but for Mr. Weenie too! The patience advice is the best it takes time just as it would a human. Trisha laid in our floor for 3 days without moving other than pulling herself to the food bowls on her side. Now the only problem she seems to have is we buy our pups lots of dog toys and I bought trisha a toy rabit that looks real and she cries constantly if she can't find it and acts like she is nursing it. Her breast even filled with milk and she started lactating. Our vet said she protects it and believes she thinks its her baby and knows no one will take it from her like the breeder took her other babies. So most importantly just be patient and when they are ready they will let you know just don't give up. This is a picture of trisha now don't lose hope! The first is when we first got her and the seconds her now

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130221_051932.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	4415  
alishaM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:28 AM   #5
alishaM

alishaM is on a distinguished road

Sorry the second didn't post.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130221_052633.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	4416   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130221_052729.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	4417  
alishaM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:06 PM   #6
puplove

puplove is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by alishaM
We rescued a 10 year old dachshund from a puppy mill that was going to "put her down" because the risk of producing puppies at her age. When I met the lady it took everything I had not to give her a nice bruise or 5 but I refrained and later gave all her information to my vet that turned her in. Any way she was the same way it was like she had all life sucked right out of her. It was so sad. On the way to our house she vomitted and had diaherra twice in her crate and all it contained was grass and small rocks! She also had 3 different types of worms. Our other dachshund Mr. Weenie bonded with her immediately which shocked us all because of his dominate attitude most small dogs have but its like he understood her pain. It took a long time for us to even get our hands on her and bathing her was a real hassle she kept trying to bite us but only has three teeth and weighed 4 lbs and we didn't know if she would ever overcome her fear. 9 months has passed and she is a completely different dog she loves life and thrives like a 2 year old. She couldn't be a better companion not only for my mother who is very ill but for Mr. Weenie too! The patience advice is the best it takes time just as it would a human. Trisha laid in our floor for 3 days without moving other than pulling herself to the food bowls on her side. Now the only problem she seems to have is we buy our pups lots of dog toys and I bought trisha a toy rabit that looks real and she cries constantly if she can't find it and acts like she is nursing it. Her breast even filled with milk and she started lactating. Our vet said she protects it and believes she thinks its her baby and knows no one will take it from her like the breeder took her other babies. So most importantly just be patient and when they are ready they will let you know just don't give up. This is a picture of trisha now don't lose hope! The first is when we first got her and the seconds her now
That is so sad but with a happy ending! Good for you for rescuing her and thanks for sharing your story.
puplove is online now   Reply With Quote