Dog Forum  

Go Back   Dog Forum - DiscussDogs.com > >

Old 11-10-2005, 01:53 PM   #1
jmg

jmg is on a distinguished road
toy dogs

my fiancee wants to adopt a small pup that she can take everywhere with her. the only thing is that i dont know how well my 3 year old male pit will do with that. he is good with kids and my female that we have but he seems to not care for a small yapping dog. in my experiences the small dogs seem to have to defend themselves and tend to be aggressive. any suggestions?

jmg is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2005, 05:58 PM   #2
HOHAMBULLS

HOHAMBULLS is on a distinguished road

I have a pug, and he does fine with my American Bulldogs, of course the American is nowhere as animal aggressive as a pit. Here is a picture of Pugsley T giving Handsome Hoss some sugars. Good luck, hopefully you can find a pup your pit will tolerate.

HOHAMBULLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:00 AM   #3
LauraEdwards90

LauraEdwards90 is on a distinguished road

What a lovely dog!

LauraEdwards90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #4
diamah
DD_MODERATOR.png

diamah is on a distinguished road

Not all small dogs are yappy, so I suspect that's your bias talking through your dog. In my opinion, any dog that is aggressive has not been taught to behave properly. The reason small dogs might suffer from this more than big dogs is because it's easier to control a small dog through physical means, rather than having to take the time to work with the dog.

It is true that some dogs are more vocal than others, either due to breed or personality. So, my first suggestion would be to research small-dog breeds to find out what responsible breeders and other owners say. Then, learn how to teach a dog not to be barky. Or, go through a rescue and get an adult dog so you'll already know how much it barks.

If you haven't already exposed your other two dogs to small well-behaved dogs, you should do so first, just be certain that they'll be ok with a small, well-behaved dog.

Avoid puppy-mill pups, which are liable to have the worst breeding and temperament, as well as behavioral problems due to their background.

diamah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:36 AM   #5
mitzi458

mitzi458 is on a distinguished road

Maybe you should try to foster a small dog to see how it would work out? Just be careful when introducing them

mitzi458 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:12 PM   #6
RdogsRule

RdogsRule is on a distinguished road

Hi! I have a pitbull and 2 toy dogs. It has worked out ok for me but I think it's because of my pitbulls exposure to all kinds of dogs from the day I got her until now... I am still very careful thought because my pitbull is much bigger and one of my dogs is 2 pounds I'm still carefull... what helped me too is crate training all my dogs but I think it all depends on you dogs temperament and how it is around all types of dogs toys especially. ..

RdogsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:35 PM   #7
ps_1stlhasa

ps_1stlhasa is on a distinguished road

Dogs have a world view that can seem strange to people - they don't seem to realize how big/small they are. If we train them and expect them to behave alike, most of the time, other than some behaviors that we've bred them for, they will respond alike.

ps_1stlhasa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:17 AM   #8
Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamah View Post
Not all small dogs are yappy, so I suspect that's your bias talking through your dog.
When my mom and I wanted to get another dog and decided it would be a small dog, we created a short list of small dogs we felt would be a good fit for us. One of the criteria was a relatively quite breed. We didn't want something really yappy. Papillons and Phalenes (drop-eared Papillons) made the list and that's what we ended up going with. They do yap, but I find Papillons and Phalenes to be a lot less yappy than some other small breeds.
Suburban Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:19 PM   #9
mhubel

mhubel is on a distinguished road

Our rescue toy poodle can still be quite vocal, but after 4.5 years he has calmed down a lot. Over the years, I've met dog of yappy breeds that just aren't. All of Charlie's barking is fear based, and it has taken a lot of patience.

In terms of the things listed here to watch out for, we broke all of those rules. Charlie was originally bought from a pet store, so he was likely from a puppy mill. He was deathly afraid of men, particularly young Asian men. We attribute this to abuse at the hands of his first owner, and very long periods of being left alone in a condo. I am currently calling it PTSD, just like many returning veterans.

It is easy to pick Charlie up, and he is so cute and cuddly. Maybe we shouldn't, but there you go. When walk time comes, he jumps up on my lap to get his leash on.

Some small dogs are afraid of bigger breeds, but not Charlie. It depends.

mhubel is online now   Reply With Quote