Dog Forum  

Go Back   Dog Forum - DiscussDogs.com > >

Old 04-02-2007, 07:58 AM   #1
nine

nine has disabled reputation
Rottweiler Temperment

I am interested in adopting a rottweiler, a puppy, but I am not familiar with the breed.

I have a small dog (Min Pin) and medium dog (60 lb pit mix).

Any feedback on general temperment from Rott owners would be very helpful.

nine is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2007, 08:20 AM   #2
Turner

Turner is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Turner

Ok Rott Thats your que!!! Ive never had any experience in Rotties so I dont know much bout them either

Old 04-02-2007, 11:39 AM   #3
SmoothCollieluver

SmoothCollieluver is on a distinguished road

Working at the vet/shelter i have seen two types. The big baby would never hurt a fly type that just loves and wants to please and when they wag it's not just the tail but the whole body. And the psycho type that try to eat you as fast as they look at you. Luckily the first type is more common then the second.

SmoothCollieluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 06:18 PM   #4
Rottweilerlvr

Rottweilerlvr is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Rottweilerlvr

I would recommend finding a rottweiler rescue versus going to a shelter as shelter's don't do temperment evaluations, rescues do.... You will also know precisely what you are getting in regards to housetraining, good with other pets, etc...

Rottweilers are wonderful dogs, they have alot of heart and soul, will follow you around the house like a lost puppy. If I'm cooking, they are in the kitchen "supervising", if I'm in the living room watching TV, they are laying down by my feet, when I'm sleeping, they are laying down on the side of bed I'm sleeping on. They want to be with you, they are not meant to be a outside dog. A rottweiler thrives on training, after all, it is a working breed, and training is needed, just like any dog. They are big and powerful, so you want to teach manners, if socialized with all sizes of dogs, and people, a rottweiler will do well in any pet home, you just have to put the time and effort into them and you will be rewarded. You will be hooked on the breed, other breeds will start looking insignificant compared to a rottweiler, but it's a lifetime commitment. You will need to check with your insurance company as alot won't insure a rottweiler, if you live in a home that has home owner's association, you will need to check to make sure a rottweiler is allowed as some don't and you need to be prepared for BSL... Texas is trying to pass a law were counties will be able to decide if they want ban certain breeds, and rottweilers and pitbulls are always on top of the list... Are you prepared to fight for your dog if this happens? Good luck, and please keep us posted...

Linnea Rainey
==================
Countess Isabella de la Rosa, TT, CGC
Riddick, TT, CGC Rescued Rottweiler
==================
Baxter "Always in my Heart" 01/03/00 - 09/07/07
Beloved Rottweiler
Rottweilerlvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:19 PM   #5
canvasjockey

canvasjockey is on a distinguished road

Ditto to Smooth and Rottweilerlvr. We get a lot come in the clinic, most are big teddy bears, a few are normally nice but need muzzles to do anything. Mine had a split personality, a loveable lug 98% of the time, but had a strange reaction to certain people we had to watch for. Socialization from as early on as possible is pretty important.

Carole

"A camel is a horse designed by committee." ...unknown

My Paintings

canvasjockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:29 AM   #6
Clark

What is a rottie's energy level like? I am curious. I usually always hear they are loyal and strong but don't often hear if they are couch potatoes or marathon runners or somewhere inbetween lol. How much exercise does an adult rottie require daily?

Old 04-03-2007, 10:39 AM   #7
Rottweilerlvr

Rottweilerlvr is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Rottweilerlvr
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkFarm
What is a rottie's energy level like? I am curious. I usually always hear they are loyal and strong but don't often hear if they are couch potatoes or marathon runners or somewhere inbetween lol. How much exercise does an adult rottie require daily?
Until a rottie is mature there energy level I would consider is high, but once they mature, probably more moderate, but it also depends on breeding... If you get a true working line rottweiler, the dog will probably have more energy and demand more exercise, training and working of the mind... I consider them couch potatoes, Baxter is perfectly content to lay around all day... It really depends on the dogs, as all aren't the same, and you just kind of need to know the dog when it comes to exercise and how much needed....

Linnea Rainey
==================
Countess Isabella de la Rosa, TT, CGC
Riddick, TT, CGC Rescued Rottweiler
==================
Baxter "Always in my Heart" 01/03/00 - 09/07/07
Beloved Rottweiler
Rottweilerlvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 07:54 AM   #8
nine

nine has disabled reputation

How much do your various Rotts weigh?

nine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:34 AM   #9
Turner

Turner is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Turner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxDog

The smallest Ive seen is 92 lb and the biggest was about 150 lb..... I dont know the standard but Ive seen plenty different sizes lol
Old 04-04-2007, 09:38 AM   #10
SmoothCollieluver

SmoothCollieluver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxDog
I have seen them 50lb to 185lb. So quite a range just like labs these days. That goes back to my favorite saying purebred doesn't mean well bred
SmoothCollieluver is offline   Reply With Quote