Dog Forum  

Go Back   Dog Forum - DiscussDogs.com > >

Old 08-06-2013, 11:35 PM   #1
puppy-princess

puppy-princess is on a distinguished road
Princess- The new addition to my family

Hello I justjoined thia forum because I bought an 11 week rottweiler and Im nervous and would like all the information I could get. My name is Crystal.

puppy-princess is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2013, 11:12 AM   #2
diamah
DD_MODERATOR.png

diamah is on a distinguished road

Hi Crystal, and welcome. My BF has a Rottie, and he takes care of two others. They are wonderful dogs, eager to please, smart, and gentle. I'm sure your little girl will be wonderful. It takes time, though, and you'll notice that somewhere between about 9 months and 18 months, she'll seem to "forget" everything she's learned - but that's just her adolescence, and just like human teenagers, she'll feel a need to push boundaries. But the trusting relationship you and she develop during her puppyhood will help a lot during this period, and almost overnight she'll mature and all the training will seem to take effect at once. At least, that's what has happened to me with my dogs.

How about some pics of your puppy?

diamah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:04 PM   #3
puppy-princess

Smile Introduction

The first couple is of the day I picked her up and it was my first time meeting her. She loved me right away!!! It was meant to be.
http://www.discussdogs.com/forum/att...8&d=1375896664
She is so cute her tongues always sticking out, and when she wakes up she likes to rol back and forth. Shes so photogenic.
And theres also a picture of my spouse with her.
Shes so smart she learns tricks so fast, I have a video of her last week giving my spouse(Jimmy) high five. She jumps up and touches his hand with her two paws. He calls it a high five, "Up high."
She used to go, "To the side" but Jimmy tricked her once and pulled his hand away and now she wont do it anymore :'(
She just doesnt like listening to us. I took her away from my mattress when she was trying to rip it apart and she stands right in front of me and pees, when at night she hides them. lol I couldnt believe my dog was giving me attitude.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00645-209124606.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	5087   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00646-2047675663.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	5088   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM008181724678363.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	5093   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00932-1445857802.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	5094   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00628620342764.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	5095  

Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00938-1639737107.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	5096  
Old 08-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #4
diamah
DD_MODERATOR.png

She looks completely adorable, love that little tongue sticking out while she sleeps.

Quote:
She just doesnt like listening to us. I took her away from my mattress when she was trying to rip it apart and she stands right in front of me and pees,
When you take away something that you don't want her to chew, give her something she can chew. Also, keep things you don't want her to chew away from her - puppies just *have* to chew, and it takes them time to learn what's acceptable and what isn't. It'll reduce your frustration and hers if you aren't always taking things away from her, and eventually her desire to chew so much will disappear and she'll also have learned what's acceptable for chewing.

It's not so much that she's "not listening", its more that she doesn't actually understand English yet. Dogs can learn words, but they just as often learn context, so that learning the command "sit" in the living room isn't the same as learning the command "sit" in the bedroom or out in the yard. Whenever you teach a dog something, you need to teach the same thing in several different places. Eventually, they'll generalize the command to all situations, but it doesn't happen right away.

Dogs can learn separate words, but they aren't really that good at verbal communication; their natural communication method is through body language. Studies have been done that show dogs will perform a behavior for words that *sound* similar to the command for that behavior, said in the same intonation as the command. They've also shown that if the dog can't see their owner's body, but can *hear* them give commands, they can't always figure out what the owner wants even with a familiar command. What dogs are really good at is body language, so any time you can add a hand signal to a command, you will be doing yourself and your dog a favor.

It's hard, but try not to fall into the habit of ascribing human motivation to your dog - such as "giving attitude". Dogs can almost certainly feel emotion such as fear, love, contentment, anger, but not emotions such as "guilt" or "vindictiveness". Dogs are remarkably forthright about what they're feeling, but you need to understand their body language before you can understand what they're feeling. For example, people often mistake a dog's fearful or anxious body language for guilt and so humans think dogs *know* why they're in trouble, and all the dog knows is that something is wrong and his human is scary.

Quote:
when at night she hides them
Are you saying she pees at night? Have you considered crating her? At 11 weeks, I thinks she should be well on the way to being housetrained.

I don't think Rotties are that hard to train, they're very smart and motivated to please - especially if you have treats, but they need calmness and consistency to do their best. I can train my BFs Rotties to do stuff in about 10 minutes. Of course, if I don't go back and reinforce their "learning", they will forget in just a few days. My BF, who isn't as consistent as I am, can undo my training in about a week but as his dogs are so darn easy-going, it hasn't really mattered if they do what I think they should.

Last edited by diamah; 08-07-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:10 AM   #5
puppy-princess

Unhappy Confused and worried

Ya I found a couple toys she likes chewing on, one is just a wooden leg from a broken toy i had and the other is bouncy which is her favorite to play with. The wooden one she likes when she wants to sit and bite something. I never thought of that, thank you (Give her something she CAN chew on) which makes sense because clearly she feela like biting at the time and then she will know she can chew on the toy, maybe I was confusing her. I can see that being confusing to a baby. :'( My poor baby
Thats also something very useful to know I will add gestures to the commands I teach her. We thoughtshe just did tricks that I taught her only with me, and the one my bf taught her just with him. Ya I think its unfair when people assume their dog "knows" why theyre getting mad. Im trying to look at everything from her point of view when im dealing with her.

She is pretty much house trained now, the only time she goes in the house is when im not reading her properly like one time she was whinning and just starring at me and another she barked. I never get mad at her for when she does though because its my fault really and when you gotta go, you gotta go.
She hid her accidents a few weeks back when we first got her :'( my bf got mad at her but I told him I dont want to show her any negativity at all. Shes just a baby and that will make her fear us not respect us. He never thought of it like that and now agrees which is so relieving. Im in the process of getting her a crate at the moment.
My bf is also inconsistent with her and it drives me bonkers because she wont learn when its different, because who really does? I have a huge peoblem from last night though and I dont know what to think about it.

When we first got her I let her bite me when we played and my bf told me not to immediately and now shes having a hard time getting out of the habbit. She doesnt bite him anymore and he doesnt live here most of the time. Last night she was viciously barking at me and biting me really hard and wouldnt stop. I tried taking her outside, feeding her, playing with her toys with her and norhing worked. when she was jumping at me biting she was biting my feet or barking. She is growing fast and her bites really hurt, so much that I started crying. I didnt know what to do. Last time I cried she layed with me and licked every tear that came out. I tried talking softly to calm her down and that didnt work either. I dont know what I was doing wrong or what I was missing. I dont know what biting me would tell me though. :'(

Old 08-08-2013, 11:02 AM   #6
PatriciafromCO

PatriciafromCO is on a distinguished road

I like pocket squeaker toys for pups,, they start getting into something, start heading in a direction or place they shouldn't be.. you just squeak the squeaker it gets their attention to you and you make yourself interesting to call them to come to you so you can reward them for coming.. and then play a game with them.. little tug, little catch.. Puppies do let go of the naughty curiosity as they mature learning better things to do..

She's beautiful... take every naughty event to focus on teaching them what they should be doing instead... so they learn to do the better things instead.

PatriciafromCO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:34 PM   #7
diamah
DD_MODERATOR.png

I suggested some things on the other thread to deal with the biting barking.

Rotties do like to play rough, I believe. My little guy is about 55 lbs, but he's fast. He plays with my BFs two Rotties, who are 80 and around 140 lbs. The Rotties like to wrestle; my boy likes to run. Tara, the smaller Rottie chases Boone (my dog), and barks and growls at him like she wants to murder him, but it's really all in fun. The bigger Rottie, Bear, doesn't make so much noise, but he gets his huge mouth around my little dog's head or neck, and I'm amazed there's no blood! But my dog LOVES it, anyway, he wrestles a little bit, then races around the yard at 30 mph, while the other dogs watch. They do try to cut him off at the corners and up against the fence, and it looks scary - but nobody ever seems to get hurt. It's just the way they play.

So, yeah, your girl needs to learn that you aren't as tough as other dogs, and she will. My Boone used his mouth a bit too much as a puppy, and over time he learned that I didn't like it. Not to long ago, he and I were playing and he accidentally caught me with a tooth. It hurt, I yelped, and Boone closed his mouth - and then tried to play "tug" with a closed mouth! They do learn, it takes time and patience and some days of frustration.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:11 PM   #8
puppy-princess

Omg that totally worked, I just pouted everytime she would bite me a bit hard and one time I wouldnt look at her and i kept doing that. Now she doesnt bite hard and if i say ow she stops and puts her head down and kisses it better.
I also got her a raw hide bone and some wooden sticks which she seems to enjoy biting. My bf is having a hard time not spanking her when she bites something. I keep asking him to give her something she can chew on. But he is convinced you have to spank them and show them whos boss. I told him to stop thinking of her as a big dog and see her how she really is, a baby. He has kids so I asked him if he spanked his kids when they had trouble waljing or talking but he says thats not the same and my puppy is going to keep puahing my limits. Which I think is true but I dont believe two wrongs make a right.
I think that its really introducing violence in my puppys world. I dont want that because she could get taken away.
What do you think of tug? Someone told me that might be bad for her too.
I dont know if I mentioned she ran away in the front yard and towards the road. I yelled "PRINCESS NOOOO!!!!!" SCARED OUT OF MY MIND
She stopped just before the bus and i picked her up and said no, stay with mommy. I brought her on the couch andjust hugged her pretty much in tears and she llayed in my arms licking me.
I taught her to watch when vehicles go by and when we cross the road she stops and we look both ways.
Im not taking her to parks because its a couple more days before the vet said its safe, my spouce keeps taking her to the park despite my objection. Lucky he doesnt live with me and is only around weekends. Im even scared to take her around the corner.
I have a harness on her now but would like to get something different. Whats your preference for collars?
Like i said i never really owned doga in my adult life. Just in highschool. Im just trying to think like a puppy
Thanks for the advice

Old 08-20-2013, 04:46 PM   #9
diamah
DD_MODERATOR.png

I'm glad the puppy is learning not to bite so hard; she may still make mistakes, but you've obviously done a good job of teaching her what's acceptable.

I think tug is ok, if she starts to get too excited, just end the game on a happy note. Some people think tug creates aggressiveness, perhaps because some dogs do get excited and start to growl, and they'll lunge for the toy, but dogs are pretty good at figuring out what is "play" and what isn't. People have more trouble with that than most dogs.

You are correct; if your boyfriend is hitting your puppy, that is animal abuse and it's not teaching her anything except that sometimes the man hurts her for no reason that she can figure out. At some point she may decide she needs to defend herself against this man who attacks her. She's a Rottweiler so her method of defense could be quite damaging and painful, and your boyfriend will be scratching his head and wondering why the dog bit him. Even worse, if a man who looks like your boyfriend makes a wrong move around her, she could think she has to defend herself and could end up euthanized. She could also become permanently afraid of men, or just generally timid, neither of which outcomes is what your BF wants I'm sure. Who wants a Rottweiler who cowers and pees whenever someone tries to pet her?

Nobody has to "show her who's boss"; she already knows who's boss because the "boss" feeds her and opens doors, takes her outside, plays fun 'games' where she gets lots of treats and praise and pets, and is essentially the source of all good things. The other person, the one who hits her, is the source of all 'scary' and 'hurtful' things. In the end, you could end up with a dog who'll do anything for you, and will avoid your BF or behave aggressively towards him.

The whole "who's boss" notion of dog training is 20 or 30 years out of date. Dog science has come a long way, especially in the last decade or so, and training methods that employ pain or fear create dogs who are fearful and/or aggressive. Training methods that are positive, and that teach the dog what to do create dogs who are well behaved, happy and confident.

You need to protect your puppy from your BF, until your BF catches up to you in terms of training.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:53 PM   #10
diamah
DD_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Im not taking her to parks because its a couple more days before the vet said its safe, my spouce keeps taking her to the park despite my objection. Lucky he doesnt live with me and is only around weekends. Im even scared to take her around the corner.
I have a harness on her now but would like to get something different. Whats your preference for collars?
Like i said i never really owned doga in my adult life. Just in highschool. Im just trying to think like a puppy
Thanks for the advice
Sorry, missed this part. Harnesses are actually better for dogs, easier on them physically and, at least for my BF's dogs, reduces the amount of 'pulling' against the leash they do. Collars are ok, but they have been known to damage dog's trachea when a dog has lunged against the leash. If you feel you must get one, do not get a choke collar or a prong collar; they are the most damaging. A flat collar should be ok for her. But if you could let her wear a pretty collar, but walk her with the harness, that would be best, in my opinion.

And, I'm not sure how your BF could be taking your dog anywhere against your objections; it doesn't seem like a very viable relationship if he just ignores you and does what he wants?