Dog Forum  

Go Back   Dog Forum - DiscussDogs.com > >

Old 02-13-2015, 05:24 PM   #1
patritsy

patritsy is on a distinguished road
Pulling on Leash Help??

I adopted Max a little over a year ago. He's an American Black Lab and was 10 years old when I got him. This year he will be 12. Don't let that age fool you, he acts like a 4-5 year old. He loves parks and Tennis balls. Super attached to me at home, following me so closely that if I had a 5 foot leash on him, there would be so much slack that it touches the ground.

However once we a re outside, there is absolutely nothing I seem to be able to do to get his attention. He pulls on the leash very hard, as if he is super eager to finish the walk. He is usually not focused on anything in particular where he will stop pulling when he gets there (a certain fence or tree) he is also overly interested in squirrels, cats, and other dogs now which he was not when I first got him.
It is really uncomfortable to walk him. I'm talking about a 75 pound dog, pulling a 90 pound girl kind of uncomfortable. I also think that this is unnecessary stress for him.

I always feed him after the walk so I thought that this is the reason he wants to rush through the walk (to get to his food faster) However once at home, he is completely focused on me again (and calm)

I have tried treats to get his attention, turning into different directions and stopping. I even tried a choking collar as well as a halti. He still pulls.

If anyone knows or thinks he/she knows how to handle this problem, please reply. Any tips and tricks are welcome. Thank you!

patritsy is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2015, 03:48 AM   #2
minh

minh is on a distinguished road

dog training
http://www.dogtrainingcoursesonline.com/

minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:43 AM   #3
esuastegui

esuastegui is on a distinguished road
Try a body harness

Quote:
Originally Posted by patritsy View Post
I adopted Max a little over a year ago. He's an American Black Lab and was 10 years old when I got him. This year he will be 12. ...once we a re outside, there is absolutely nothing I seem to be able to do to get his attention. He pulls on the leash very hard, as if he is super eager to finish the walk.
First, this is normal. Since you got him late in life, you got 10 years of bad habits to break, so don't despair. It's going to take time. I have a rescue pup, also a Lab (mix), five months old, and I get the same behavior. Simple heel-stop drills aren't cutting it (at least after a week). I'm going to try the Halti Body Harness:

It works on pure physics: when the dog pulls forward, the front buckle arrangement slings him sideways. Pretty soon he goes: "hey, pulling forward isn't taking me forward," and he stops. That's the idea, anyway. My pooch isn't as out of control, so I went with the body harness, but there is also a head harness. YMMV.

This video shows how all this works, along with giving some general wisdom on leash training:

Last edited by esuastegui; 08-17-2016 at 10:57 AM.
esuastegui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:44 AM   #4
esuastegui

esuastegui is on a distinguished road

No idea why the forum turned my URLs into pure HTML. <<removed after fixing the previous response>>

Last edited by esuastegui; 08-17-2016 at 10:57 AM.
esuastegui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 03:12 PM   #5
ChaelinKang

ChaelinKang is on a distinguished road

I have heard from somewhere that the length of the leash is also very important! If the leash is too short, the dog will try to pull and push more often. Maybe try to make the length of the leash longer and make your dog feel a bit more free and see how that goes!

ChaelinKang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 03:33 PM   #6
BobSimmons

BobSimmons is on a distinguished road

I have this same problem with my dog, even though I take him out for a walk quite frequently, I thought he just wasn't being exposed to the outdoor enough, or he is just young and active. But, it is surprising to hear from chaelinkang that it could be the length of the leash? Hmmm interesting. I think I will also start doing some training from esuastegui's video!

BobSimmons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 06:02 AM   #7
Furbabeez

Furbabeez is on a distinguished road

B'Seen 360 Dog Collar Light Attachment helps you find your animal in the dark. You can keep your pooch safe with the B'Seen 360 Dog Collar Light Attachment. It lights up in all directions and visible up to 500-700m. You can find more about this product here:
https://www.furbabeez.com/collection...ght-attachment
Estimated lifetime of battery is 60 hrs. It's waterproof and shock proof so you can easily do your evening walk. It lights up all the way round and offers maximum visibility in the dark.

Furbabeez is online now   Reply With Quote