Dog Forum  


Go Back   Dog Forum - DiscussDogs.com > >

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2010, 07:48 PM   #1
Duchess_007
DD_MODERATOR.png
 
Duchess_007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: , Ontario
Posts: 1,445
Duchess_007 is on a distinguished road
Yarn Spinning and Dog Hair

So I've been thinking about this for a while. The last time I went to the vet's with Ralph a woman who was petting him asked if I had ever thought about having his hair spun. I said no because I honestly hadn't really thought of it before. Now that Ralph is blowing coat for the winter I'm raking out mounds of hair, I've started thinking about it way more. It's so soft too.

I know one breeder that we almost got a puppy from mentioned that she had known some people with Pyrs who do this and she said it's the same warmth quality of sheep's wool and much softer.

I thought it would be a nice keepsake to have, like a little blanket of Ralph. My SO thinks it's kind of weird.

I found this website for somebody who spins pet hair. http://vipfibers.com/pet-yarn.htm
I would assume I'd need to collect alot of it. Which is honestly not so much of a problem, he sheds like it's his job.

Would you do it? Thoughts?

__________________
Whoever said "let sleeping dogs lie" didn't sleep with dogs. - Unknown

Last edited by Duchess_007; 11-28-2010 at 08:08 PM.
Duchess_007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2010, 10:18 PM   #2
StarfishSaving
DD_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
StarfishSaving's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Indiana, PA
Posts: 4,873
StarfishSaving is on a distinguished road

It's interesting. I don't think I'd do it only because I'm not crafty and don't know what I'd do with it, lol. It's neat to think of, so maybe. I'm guessing that yeah, you'd need quite a bit. It's probably worth talking to someone about the cost and what it entails before you move to do it but can't hurt to investigate, eh?

Keep us posted if you decide to go for it as I think it would be an interesting topic

__________________

-Crystal with CGCs: Sammy, George, Sally, Dover and Toby and foster Tricksy
Rescue owner, professional trainer, shelter consultant


Getting Started on the Forum (and how to post pics)
Forum Rules
StarfishSaving is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:57 PM   #3
Adjour
 
Adjour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Socal
Posts: 820
Adjour is on a distinguished road

I've thought about it. Personally I find it a bit wierd/odd...but not enough to not try it....my dogs shed very little tho, and it would take years upon years of collecting hair to have a worthwhile amount to have spun, thats why i haven't done it.

__________________
...so beautiful, yet so awkward...It's like watching a unicorn walk into a screen door.
Adjour is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:50 PM   #4
Duchess_007
DD_MODERATOR.png
 
Duchess_007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: , Ontario
Posts: 1,445
Duchess_007 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishSaving View Post
It's interesting. I don't think I'd do it only because I'm not crafty and don't know what I'd do with it, lol.
I'm the same way. My grandmother once tried to teach me to knit but I think she gave up on me. I was that bad! A few years ago I tried to re-teach myself with a knitting booklet and trying to remember what my grandmother had taught me. I figured I would do something small and easy like a knitted cloth or something. My square ended up as a triangle because my stitches kept getting tighter and tighter until I eventually couldn't fit a needle in them anymore.

There is a lady in our town who takes on knitting projects so I figured I could maybe give her a call. I don't think my grandmother would want to do it. If I told her the "wool" she was using was really Ralph's dog hair she'd probably have a heart attack!

I might give knitting another try in between our other usual winter activities. I always think it looks so relaxing. I'm one of those people who likes to keep my hands busy while I'm sitting down watching TV on especially blustery cold winter nights.

I checked out some afghan patterns to check out how much "wool" I'd need. They say with softer longer haired breeds there's an 18% loss factor. I think I'll be saving hair for a loooong time. I'm thinking like a packed down cardboard moving box full of Ralph hair. It'll probably be full in two or three (maybe 4) coat-blows. So this one, spring and then again next fall. But I think it would be really nice to have for after Ralph isn't around anymore.

They say you can do shorter coarser haired breeds too. But the loss factor is much higher so you have to save more to do smaller projects. And its not as soft. They have some stuff on the website that they'll do for you, like dreamcatchers and little teddy bears, and mittens and scarves.
__________________
Whoever said "let sleeping dogs lie" didn't sleep with dogs. - Unknown
Duchess_007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:05 AM   #5
StarfishSaving
DD_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
StarfishSaving's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Indiana, PA
Posts: 4,873
StarfishSaving is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess_007 View Post
I'm the same way. My grandmother once tried to teach me to knit but I think she gave up on me. I was that bad! A few years ago I tried to re-teach myself with a knitting booklet and trying to remember what my grandmother had taught me. I figured I would do something small and easy like a knitted cloth or something. My square ended up as a triangle because my stitches kept getting tighter and tighter until I eventually couldn't fit a needle in them anymore.
Hehehe... my friend taught me how to crochet- just one basic stitch- and I was working on a table runner type thing for on top of my dresser. Halfway through, I somehow changed to a completely different stich (not one I'd been taught) accidentally and so half of the project is one size and nice and tight and the next half is a bigger, softer stitch and more trapezoidal than rectangular.

Quote:
I might give knitting another try in between our other usual winter activities. I always think it looks so relaxing. I'm one of those people who likes to keep my hands busy while I'm sitting down watching TV on especially blustery cold winter nights.
Same!

I think that you're right, it would be something nice to have around when your dog is no longer around. I saved a lock of my Buddy's fur when he passed so I had something better than his urn when I needed to feel connected still. Mittens or something like that (dreamcatcher would be nice!) would be much better to serve that purpose.
__________________

-Crystal with CGCs: Sammy, George, Sally, Dover and Toby and foster Tricksy
Rescue owner, professional trainer, shelter consultant


Getting Started on the Forum (and how to post pics)
Forum Rules
StarfishSaving is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:36 AM   #6
jackrobert
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1
jackrobert is on a distinguished road

Really spinning wool is an art that everyone should learn. I have tried myself to learn a little bit of spinning but seriously speaking failed each time

----------------------------------------

spinning wool

jackrobert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #7
organictroll
 
organictroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Lexington, Kentucky
Posts: 97
organictroll is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess_007 View Post
So I've been thinking about this for a while. The last time I went to the vet's with Ralph a woman who was petting him asked if I had ever thought about having his hair spun. I said no because I honestly hadn't really thought of it before. Now that Ralph is blowing coat for the winter I'm raking out mounds of hair, I've started thinking about it way more. It's so soft too.

I know one breeder that we almost got a puppy from mentioned that she had known some people with Pyrs who do this and she said it's the same warmth quality of sheep's wool and much softer.

I thought it would be a nice keepsake to have, like a little blanket of Ralph. My SO thinks it's kind of weird.

I found this website for somebody who spins pet hair. http://vipfibers.com/pet-yarn.htm
I would assume I'd need to collect alot of it. Which is honestly not so much of a problem, he sheds like it's his job.

Would you do it? Thoughts?
I saw a company that does this for pet owners profiled on a news program. The lady and her employees spin the hair sent to them in her home after washing it in special solutions to remove any "doggie smell". I think they will also knit items from it as well. I can't remember the company since it was quite a while back that I saw this.

I'd bet it would make something beautiful! I have no idea how to spin but I am an avid knitter, which is probably why I remember the news profile.
organictroll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #8
Duchess_007
DD_MODERATOR.png
 
Duchess_007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: , Ontario
Posts: 1,445
Duchess_007 is on a distinguished road

I've since taught myself to knit pretty well with straight needles, although I'm hoping to branch out a bit over my christmas break since I'm kind of limited in patterns for straight needles. I remembered what I could from my grandmother teaching me years ago (she's passed away since) and supplemented what I couldn't remember with a couple web videos. So I'm ok with the knitting now.

I did spin a trial amount of fiber on a homemade drop spindle... It was a redonkulous amount of work. Washing, carding, the whole lot of it. And what came out after I was done spinning was a very sentimental but uneven, lumpy type yarn. Not sure if I'll ever be ready to tackle it again.

We do have a woman in town associated with the historical farming museum who does spinning and I think a few lessons here and there. I'm bouncing back and forth between asking her to spin for me or lessons. Either way it's a lot to get into again until I'm finished school.

Really interesting altogether though!

__________________
Whoever said "let sleeping dogs lie" didn't sleep with dogs. - Unknown
Duchess_007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Colorado-German Short Hair and Weinereimer up for adoption- moving jordi1723 Adopting & Rescue Discussion 1 05-12-2006 11:27 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.