Dog Forum  

Go Back   Dog Forum - DiscussDogs.com > >

Old 03-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
artisteff

artisteff is on a distinguished road
Stories of my dogs

I think this is the right place to put this. All three of my dogs are rescues. I want to tell you the story of how each one became part of our family. I will break it up into different sessions as they will be long. (I have to limit my time on the computer due to eye issues.) I will start with my oldest dog.

About 11 years ago, I went back to school as a full time student. It was my first semester back in school. I was much older than most of the students and was unsure if I would be able to keep up. The school was an hour away from my home. Every morning, I would get the kids up and ready for school before I would leave to my classes. I would race home after my classes and try to beat the bus back before it dropped the kids off. The rest of the evening was spent helping with homework, going to sporting events and other family matters. Which left no time for myself until after the kids were in bed. We had a 12 year old dog at the time who had been a part of the family since before we had kids. I had no intension of having any other pets at that time because of my busy schedule.

One morning when I left for classes, I noticed a pile of junk that someone had dumped on the side of the highway. It had not been there the day before. My husband and the kids had off that day, so he decided to take them to his mother's house for the weekend. That left me some time to run some errands after school. I needed to run by Lowe's and I also wanted to check out that junk pile, because I was doing a found object project for one of my art classes. I decided to go to Lowe's first. But just before I passed the road that had the junk pile, I had this sudden inexplicable urgent feeling to see the junk pile. So I turned down that road and pulled off beside the pile. When I walked up to it, I found a tiny puppy staring up at me, who had been placed on a cushion on the very top of the pile. I picked him up and took him home.

The Puppy couldn't be more than 4-5 weeks at the most. He should not have been away from his mom yet. And there was no way he could have made it off that junk pile on his own. On the drive home, he stayed perfectly still on the passenger seat where I had put him. And when I got home and put him down on the floor, he still remained frozen in position. I had never seen a puppy act like this. After I softened some dog food with warm water, I put some food and water in front of him. Without moving from his sitting position, he stretched his little head and lapped up the water thirstily. He was not interested in the food. After he was finished, he stayed in that frozen sitting position.

I decided to take him outside. As soon as he saw our old dog, Jasper, he melted into a normal puppy as he ran to greet the old dog. Jaspers growls did not discourage him in the least. He just wiggled with excitement at seeing another dog. He apparently had had very little contact with people, because he was prettified of them, but was delighted to have someone of his own kind around.

My 8 year old son had been wanting a dog of his own since he was 5 years old. I always told him that he needed to wait until he was 10 years old. Now I had this little puppy. When he got back from his grandmother's house I told him that he had a choice. The puppy that I had found could be his, or we could find another home for the puppy and he could choose a dog from the pound when he turned 10. He chose to keep the puppy. (I didn't let him know that I had already decided to keep the puppy regardless of his decision)

Then we had to find a name for the little guy. We decided that everyone in the family would have to agree to what ever name was chosen. Bad Idea! That proved very difficult. After three weeks, we still had not come up with a name that everyone would agree on. Exams were quickly approaching and I needed a name for this puppy soon. I gave the ultimatum that if we could not come up with a name that we all agreed upon within a week, the puppy would remain anonymous. And so, his name became "Anonymous". We eventually started calling him "Anonymoose" and have since shortened it to "moose".

Here are a few pictures of him taken about 8 days after I found him.

Click image for larger version

Name:	moosepup1.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	2652   Click image for larger version

Name:	moosepup.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	2653  
artisteff is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
artisteff

Here are some more pictures of Moose, taken recently, so you can see what he looks like as an adult dog. I am confident that he is part Australian shepherd. But I don't know what he is mixed with. I am considering having the DNA test done on him. If you would like to guess what you think he is mixed with, please do. I would love to hear what other people think.

Click image for larger version

Name:	moose2.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	2654   Click image for larger version

Name:	moose6.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	2655   Click image for larger version

Name:	moose3.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	2656  
Old 03-04-2012, 05:52 PM   #3
puplove

puplove is on a distinguished road

Very nice story and thanks for sharing. I think he looks like Australian shep and border collie or retriever mix. Beautiful dog.

puplove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:18 PM   #4
StarfishSaving
DD_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

StarfishSaving is on a distinguished road

What a nice story, and what a handsome boy Moose is. I agree about him being part aussie, I could see that there may be some BC in there, I don't see anything else I can recognize, though. We have a DNA test results thread here on the forum; if you end up taking a test, we'd love it if you posted your results!

-Crystal with CGCs: Sammy, George, Sally, Dover and Toby and foster Tricksy
Rescue owner, professional trainer, shelter consultant

Getting Started on the Forum (and how to post pics)
Forum Rules
StarfishSaving is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:17 AM   #5
Lola2010

Lola2010 is on a distinguished road

What a babe Moose is and such a cuddly little pup! I have no guesses on breed but I did a dna test on my beagle mix and was really happy with the results

Lola2010 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:08 AM   #6
GingeryDaveysmom

GingeryDaveysmom is on a distinguished road

What a wonderful story and what a beautiful dog! So glad you rescued him. I can't wait to hear the other stories!

My names Amanda. Whats yours? LOL

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole." - Roger Caras

GingeryDaveysmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:08 PM   #7
tigermom

tigermom is on a distinguished road

such a pretty dog! glad he got a great home! (:

Muddy Paws

tigermom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:42 PM   #8
Duchess_007
DD_MODERATOR.png

Duchess_007 is on a distinguished road

Aww he's such a cutie. And what an awesome story! I bet your son is the happiest little guy around with him as a buddy.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #9
artisteff

Thanks everyone for your comments!

Quote:
I bet your son is the happiest little guy around with him as a buddy.
Well he was at the time. But now he is all grown up and in college.

I appreciate your guesses. As far as being part border collie, I doubt it. He does not have the herding instinct like my other Aussie mix. If he were a mix of two herding breeds, I would think he would have it for sure. But you can't tell that from a photograph. He acts more like a guardian dog than he does a herding dog. He is very protective of his family, and can sound ferocious with his growling, but he is very gentle. When the kids were young, our house was the hangout for all the neighbor kids. It was not uncommon to have 9-10 kids in our house or backyard at a time. Moose would not allow anyone in the house (accept our own family members) until he got my approval. Once in the house, they were free to go back and forth between the house and backyard as they pleased. But once they went out that front door, they were not allowed back in again until I again approved it regardless of how well he knew them. He would always position himself where he could keep an eye on all of the children. He always seemed to know who was present. And no one could sneak into our backyard.

One day the kids all went home for dinner and my son's best friend came back latter to spend the night. He had spent the night over our house many times before. But on this particular night, he came into our house when Moose was outside. Moose obviously didn't see him come in. Troy sat down on the floor and started watching TV. When I let Moose back in, he saw Troy on the floor and started barking and growling ferociously. I ran over and told Moose it was OK and I shook Troy's hand to show him what I meant. At that point, Moose laid down next to Troy and let him use him as a pillow.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #10
Duchess_007
DD_MODERATOR.png

Duchess_007 is on a distinguished road

Hmmmm... Perhaps ACD/Pyr mix

Depending on where you are Pyr/herding mixes are super common. Texas usually has surpluses of Pyr/herding mixes.

That "wheel" flag tail definitely looks familiar!