Dog Forum  

Go Back   Dog Forum - DiscussDogs.com > >

Old 04-15-2006, 12:52 PM   #1
circle c

circle c is on a distinguished road
The Border Collie

I just thought I'd start a thread on BC's. If anyone has any specific questions about the breed I'll gladly answer any questions. They have been my breed of choice for over 5 years.

I can also answer any herding questions youmight have.

Old 06-04-2006, 08:05 PM   #2
BattleMage

BattleMage is on a distinguished road

Circle C, I've got a question for you regarding B.C.s. I'm currently fostering one and was thinking about trying to get her into agility but she seems to have no interest. I think she's a mix with Australian Shepherd also. She's very lovable but has almost no desire to do anything except curl up and cuddle. She's about 2 years old and very healthy, just lazy. Any ideas on what may perk her up?

She has been abused in the past, has been through at least 4 homes that we know of. I want to show her that life can be fun. TIA

BattleMage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 09:40 AM   #3
Bubby

Bubby is on a distinguished road
Bubby the BC

Hi! I cannot believe I found someone who knows border collies! We have a 12-year old lab mix, a 2-1/2 beagle mix and a 5 yr old BC mix. He (Roger a/k/a Bubby) was found on a very busy highway in the middle of a thunderstorm by my husband - there were two, and the other was dead and Roger was sitting there, so my husband scooped him up and brought him home. The vet told us he was a border collie mix - he MAY be mixed with brittany, I'm not sure. He was about six or seven months at the time.

He has the BC characteristis - the face, markings (although he is mostly white with the black on his head and big black spots on either side - the brittany maybe?) - he loves to herd - only he herds shoes, towels, blankets, socks - you name it. He doesn't destroy anything and really hasn't ever - he just likes to "have" it all in a big pile, which he then guards from the others.

Oscar, the beagle, is Bub's best friends. Oscar will stand up to Bub and they do get into some really bad fights from time to time (no blood other than a little here and there). Oscar follows him around, wants to snuggle with him. Bubby is VERY affectionate - LOVES to sit in laps, be petted, be rubbed, snuggled, kissed - if he's not the CENTER of attention, he whines.

The problem is that he is absolutely definitely the alpha dog. We see him strategically place toys around the house - in doorways, on the couch, int he bed - and when Oscar tries to go from room to room, he gets attacked. This isn't all the time - there are just times when Bubby gets his "attitude" - Oscar knows it and steers clear of him. It's like he's booby trapping the house.

We live on four acres and have close to an acre fenced where they all play and run -Oscar and Roger will just run and chase each other for hours unless we bring them in. They all three sleep in the bed with us - each has his/her own spot - Roger doesn't want to be touched by Oscar when he sleeps - he'll jump out of the bed, drag the bedspread off and sleep on the floor.

We really want to get another puppy - one that will play with Oscar, and Roger - one that won't cower down at Roger, but who will also respect him. Oscar just seems to have fit right into that role - only occasionally does he cower down, most of the time he knows when Roger's in a "mood" and just won't even look at him. We just don't know which kind to get.

I would LOVE to have another BC mix - I don't know if it's the breed that tends to be Top Dog and aggressive (he's not aggressive towards us and isn't a "mean" dog - it's just at times . . . . ) - or if it's just him. Or would a female BC get along better? Then again, we may have to get another little beagle - we got him at a dog park when they were having an adoption day. Didn't intend to but he was totally cute! He was pretty sick at the time - had to spend five days in a nebulizer, and had a nasty stomach bacterial infection from eating poop. Gross, huh?

I guess from everything I read about BC, Roger fits the bill with his herding and behavior - I've read that they are best in one-dog families - he's pretty jealous. Not to biting most of the time, but just wants to sit in our lap - and he muscles in when the others are getting attention. Do youi know anything about mixed breed BC? Or what kind of a dog would get along with him? I don't want to get a dog that Bub would hurt badly, but I also don't want to get a dog that would "fight" for the right to be alpha, and break Bubby - that would just kill his spirit I think. I don't see him being a "submissive" dog without just being sad. And we love his spark! And his squirrel chasing and everything else.

So . . . any help would be great! I will try to get pictures with my cell phone and email them to you - of all three of them. I'm not too technical-able but I can try!

Thanks,

Laura

Bubby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 05:14 AM   #4
mortimer33

mortimer33 is on a distinguished road

Hi guys, Just wanted to see if there were any Border Collie owners on here?

Old 05-31-2009, 07:39 AM   #5
rutylr

rutylr is on a distinguished road

Old thread,but I do know quite a few people who show BC's in many different venues.
They are too much dog for me,tho I love watching them work..

Multi BPIM,RBPIM,UCH Dragoon RLPX,AOE-P,
RN,HIC
AKC Breeder of Merit
rutylr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:26 AM   #6
louise_674

louise_674 is on a distinguished road

i have just added a threat about BC collie puppy search. Would u guys be able to have a look and offer some advice? Thanks

louise_674 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:49 AM   #7
Molly38

Molly38 is on a distinguished road

Hi Circle C,

I have a question for ya.

I have a 9 month old female BC, as you see in the avatar.

I would say all in all generally speaking Molly is an excellent dog. My only trouble with her is her and vehicles.
When faced with a moving vehicle Molly becomes 110% focused on only that and will run/jump/lunge towards it.
For that reason I can't leave her off leash outside because if a passing car would happen to go by there's a very strong chance Molly could get run over.

For the same reason this makes walking her in traffic nearly impossible.
We can't take her to events or places where there is a lot of traffic or commotion because she gets out of my control.

At the home, yard, ect...I could not ask for a better dog.
I fear one day she may get away and it would be the last time I see her

Any suggestions?
I've asked many times on this forum and have received many good ideas or suggestions...I've tried almost every single one of them with failure
When I explain the situation people seem to think it's not as bad as it really is, so imagine this being a really bad situation lol.

Thanks in advance.

Molly38 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:51 AM   #8
StarfishSaving
DD_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

StarfishSaving is on a distinguished road

Er, this person posted this thread over 4 years ago and never came back. Have you joined a border collie forum?

-Crystal with CGCs: Sammy, George, Sally, Dover and Toby and foster Tricksy
Rescue owner, professional trainer, shelter consultant

Getting Started on the Forum (and how to post pics)
Forum Rules
StarfishSaving is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:05 AM   #9
echoica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly38 View Post
Hi Circle C,

I have a question for ya.

I have a 9 month old female BC, as you see in the avatar.

I would say all in all generally speaking Molly is an excellent dog. My only trouble with her is her and vehicles.
When faced with a moving vehicle Molly becomes 110% focused on only that and will run/jump/lunge towards it.
For that reason I can't leave her off leash outside because if a passing car would happen to go by there's a very strong chance Molly could get run over.

For the same reason this makes walking her in traffic nearly impossible.
We can't take her to events or places where there is a lot of traffic or commotion because she gets out of my control.

At the home, yard, ect...I could not ask for a better dog.
I fear one day she may get away and it would be the last time I see her

Any suggestions?
I've asked many times on this forum and have received many good ideas or suggestions...I've tried almost every single one of them with failure
When I explain the situation people seem to think it's not as bad as it really is, so imagine this being a really bad situation lol.

Thanks in advance.
hey! long time no see if you haven't already i strongly suggest you head over to the border collie boards and do a search and ask for help. there are quite a few people on there that have had the same issue - extreme ocd with cars + border collie

http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.php
Old 07-07-2010, 11:09 AM   #10
Molly38

Molly38 is on a distinguished road

haha! I didn't notice this thread was 4 years old lol, I just used the search function so it was at the top of my list

I have joined a BC forum but not much help there lets just say people aren't as "nice" as they are here lol, but I will try a new one.

Thanks for that link echoica, I'll be sure to explore all of it.

Long time no see for sure, have been a lot of time working with Molly and making her a happier more obedient doggy and of course a little play in between that hehe jk.

Molly38 is online now   Reply With Quote