Dog Forum  

Go Back   Dog Forum - DiscussDogs.com > >

Old 06-05-2015, 07:27 AM   #1
chihuahualove

chihuahualove is on a distinguished road
teeth tartar build up

5 year old female chihuahua has tartar build up
I use tooth brush and chicken flavoured paste and plaque-off dust in food. Any other reccomendations? As tartat is still there.

chihuahualove is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2015, 07:32 AM   #2
chihuahualove

She doesnt like chooing teeth cleaning treats

Old 06-07-2015, 08:17 PM   #3
Margot

Margot is on a distinguished road

Looks like she needs a good dental cleaning at the Vet's. They need to scrape off that plaque, front and back, and get under the gum line.

Margot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:15 AM   #4
chihuahualove

I was afraid of that. But knew it would most likely be inevitable. Is it safe when they go under the anesthetic?

Old 06-09-2015, 12:16 AM   #5
chihuahualove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margot View Post
Looks like she needs a good dental cleaning at the Vet's. They need to scrape off that plaque, front and back, and get under the gum line.
I was afraid of that. But knew it would most likely be inevitable. Is it safe when they go under the anesthetic?
Old 06-09-2015, 07:32 PM   #6
Margot

Margot is on a distinguished road

Sorry, finding this site not very user friendly.
As in people, there is a risk any time anesthetic is used. The Vets usually do blood work first to check kidney and liver function. Ask if the Vet or a Tech will be doing the procedure. If a Tech, ask how long they have been doing this and if they have done a number of small breeds before. Do not be embarrassed to ask. Truthfully, I have had many dogs anesthesized over the years and only had some issues with two. My smallest Sheltie took a couple of days to be fully alert. My Greyhound was a bit shakey and panting all night but they are very sensitive to anesthesia.

Margot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:39 AM   #7
chihuahualove

Wow. Ive had some advise on this but not the way you have explained it. I never thought that potentially one of my babies could be a guinea pig for learning... thankyou so much for opening my eyes on a different angle on this!! I really appreciate your time and effort in replying to me aswell. Im also new to this site but can already see how beneficial it's been ☺

Old 06-10-2015, 10:39 AM   #8
chihuahualove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margot View Post
Sorry, finding this site not very user friendly.
As in people, there is a risk any time anesthetic is used. The Vets usually do blood work first to check kidney and liver function. Ask if the Vet or a Tech will be doing the procedure. If a Tech, ask how long they have been doing this and if they have done a number of small breeds before. Do not be embarrassed to ask. Truthfully, I have had many dogs anesthesized over the years and only had some issues with two. My smallest Sheltie took a couple of days to be fully alert. My Greyhound was a bit shakey and panting all night but they are very sensitive to anesthesia.
Wow. Ive had some advise on this but not the way you have explained it. I never thought that potentially one of my babies could be a guinea pig for learning... thankyou so much for opening my eyes on a different angle on this!! I really appreciate your time and effort in replying to me aswell. Im also new to this site but can already see how beneficial it's been ☺
Old 02-07-2017, 01:37 PM   #9
mechi

mechi is on a distinguished road

I'd only risk an anesthetic on my cheewee if it was a serious health issue. There's stuff you can buy to add to your dog's drinking water that's suppose to help remove plaque.