Dog Forum  

Go Back   Dog Forum - DiscussDogs.com > >

Old 12-21-2016, 07:36 PM   #1
baturner

baturner is on a distinguished road
First Time Owner - I need Help!

I've always loved dogs! And at 22, I was finally able to adopt one! I've had Louie (11 week old Lab/Catahoula Leopard Dog mix) for 2.5 weeks. The first week and a half were great! He rarely pottied in the house, used the puppy pad, etc.

As discipline, I used a firm "No" and if that didn't work, spanks on the butt or head. And used positive reinforcement when he did something good. Two days ago, I stopped the punishment and just tried positive reinforcement because I read that his recent aggression could be punishment based.

All in all, he is very good, but the last two nights he's gotten very aggressive with me. And not play aggressive (I've seen that plenty). He looks like he's exerting all his energy and will charge at me and bite me. Yesterday he attacked me for no reason, I walked in the room and he ran behind me and literally bit me in the butt and then when I turned around continued to attack me and run around me and growl. I crated him for a bit to put him in time out. And then let him out to try again.

Today, he broke skin when he attacked me after I took one of my socks away from him. Then, he proceeded to pee in my room not once or twice, but three times within an hour and we had just come back from a walk AND I had given him opportunities to go outside. I again crated him for a bit and then let him out to try again. But i've read that crates shouldn't be used for discipline if they're also used for bed so the puppy doesn't get confused.

Please, please, please help. I am reading and trying new things, I don't want to fail this puppy as a puppy mom but I am learning very quickly that I don't know what i'm doing and am getting so overwhelmed and me being overwhelmed doesn't help anybody.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6801.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	6259  
baturner is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2016, 06:45 PM   #2
EmmaRoo

EmmaRoo is on a distinguished road

Have you taken him to the vet? Maybe there's something going on with him? If nothing else, they can give you some pointers on how to handle what you're facing.

EmmaRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:10 PM   #3
BAdam

BAdam is on a distinguished road

I think you should try to contact somebody in your town that's a professional in dog training to get a perspective on what's going on with your dog. They will surely be able to help you solve this problem quickly. Good luck, being a first-time owner can be hard sometimes but it's part of the journey

BAdam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:55 AM   #4
Carol1591

Carol1591 is on a distinguished road

First time owners should always go for Mix Breed Dog. where they can get 2 Characteristics breeds of dogs in one dog. They Can understand well too.

i was searching on this topic since last many days

Last edited by Carol1591; 06-19-2017 at 02:21 AM.
Carol1591 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
aggression, first-time owner, puppy, training