Dog Forum  

Go Back   Dog Forum - DiscussDogs.com > >

Old 11-05-2008, 03:00 PM   #1
Tulip

Tulip is on a distinguished road
Showing my Schnauzer...?

Help! My mama has just said that we ought to show our Mini Schnauzer when he's old enough to, which I'm all for because I think it would stimulate him, when he's old enough and trained of course. But I know nothing about training or showing! Does anyone have a good link that provides this vital info or shows their dogs and would be comfortable chatting with me one on one?
Thank you!

Tulip is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2008, 03:29 PM   #2
DoggyMom

DoggyMom is on a distinguished road
http://www.i-love-dogs.com/dogsartic...-To-Start.html

http://www.dogwise.com/ItemDetails.cfm?ID=DSH166
http://www.thewelltraineddog.com/

Of course, many of the ladies here on the forums show their dogs, and might have better advice. Good luck to you!
Old 11-05-2008, 04:04 PM   #3
Tulip

Thank you!!!
How is Lily?

Old 11-05-2008, 05:38 PM   #4
canadianfreespirit

canadianfreespirit is on a distinguished road

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FIVE LITTLE WORDS.

Last edited by canadianfreespirit; 12-21-2008 at 12:58 PM.
canadianfreespirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:20 PM   #5
Tulip

I would really just like to do obedience, I think that would model the dog best seeing as Agilty will be a little too time-consuming for me and obedience I can just do day to day and such. I don't mind if he's got two left feet and is as far from ''show'' quality as a cat is from a rabbit hutch, he'll still be my baby and loved wholly! I want him to be the best he can be is all, and seeing as we have two young kids in the house I need to be certain he's full trained. My mama would like me to show him and possibly breed too, in which case we'd get a bitch perhaps, but she's just said that unless he's getting too rowdy we won't get him snipped so he can be shown and bred. I wouldn't mind breeding pups at all, but I also know there's a LOT of work involved, much more than getting a girl preggers and then waiting for the bundles of joy to arrive. Luckily I'm a hefty researcher and won't rest until I know everything about both subjects, so I'll keep you posted!
Thank you, guys!

Old 11-05-2008, 08:29 PM   #6
canadianfreespirit

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FIVE LITTLE WORDS.

Last edited by canadianfreespirit; 12-21-2008 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:11 PM   #7
Tulip

It's pretty likely we WILL get him neutered, because we have young kids in the house and I don't want to take any chances, it was just an idea of my mama's in a few years, perhaps. I might breed in a few years when I have my own house. If I were to breed I would register with The Kennel Club and thus be contacted by people who wanted the specific breed and such. I'm not stupid, I would never breed puppies just for the fun of it and just hope people might buy them. If I were to breed, I would breed properly and professionally. Anyway, it's likely we won't, but it might be nice to have another Schnauzer so that they could be company for each other.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:38 PM   #8
vonissk
DD_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

vonissk is on a distinguished road

Great advice Canadian. Conformation shows are basically for evaluating breeding stock. I would advise you if you are going to go that route to find a mentor. A Schnauzer competing in conformation cannot be clipped with clippers--they are hand stripped. It is a lengthy process and you must use certain shampoos because their standard calls for a hard coat. But I advise you to neuter him and the sooner the better. I know you don't want your house peed on and IO guarantee you with a female in season you will have him lifting his leg on everything. I have read that a male can smell a female in heat up to 10 miles away. There are a lot of dogs that run loose behind my house and I know when one is in because my boy tells me. Also had I neutered him earlier I think he would be a lot easier to handle. Neuter him, spay your female and you can live and compete in a performance even very happily.

U-CH PTD Auggie vom Texomaland OFA Good
U-CH Marybecks Mauli Ishto von Issk OFA Good/Normal
www.vonisskshepherds.com

vonissk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:39 PM   #9
canadianfreespirit

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FIVE LITTLE WORDS.

Last edited by canadianfreespirit; 12-21-2008 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:53 PM   #10
vonissk
DD_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

vonissk is on a distinguished road

Absolutely Canadian and well said. I don't know any people who make money in dogs. It all goes to maintenance, shows, health clearances, proper food, fencing and on and on. Right now my breeding program is on hold because of the economy even tho I do have space to keep a litter of puppies it wouldn't be fair to them to not have plenty of time and one on one to be raised as they should. Actually all it is is a very expensive hobby. I do it for the love of my breed.

U-CH PTD Auggie vom Texomaland OFA Good
U-CH Marybecks Mauli Ishto von Issk OFA Good/Normal
www.vonisskshepherds.com

vonissk is online now   Reply With Quote