Dog Forum  

Go Back   Dog Forum - DiscussDogs.com > >

Old 12-02-2011, 02:15 PM   #1
Lucille

Lucille is on a distinguished road
Name change

I am considering changing the pup's name. When I first saw her she was teeny like a goober so that's what I named her, but my action showed an obvious lack of foresight because she is a big chunky puppy right now.

From what I understand show dogs have several names, and regular dogs have nicknames. so I'm hoping that changing her name will not cause her any adverse consequences.

Lucille is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2011, 04:55 PM   #2
Duchess_007
DD_MODERATOR.png

Duchess_007 is on a distinguished road

I think she'll do fine. My guys respond to a whole variety of names; Ralph, Charley, Booger, Bugs, Handsome, BooMan, Stinker, Fatso, MuskieBait.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
vonissk
DD_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

vonissk is on a distinguished road

Lucille it will all work out. Like Duchess my dogs have all kinds of names and in 2 languages. I call Boba Mr Wonderful, Nashoba Boba Chitto, Grandpa. Sister is Little Sister, Little Coyote, Sisterroni--rhymes with macaroni--O kind of sing that one and Mauli, Mauli Ishto, Ofi Chikasha--that means Chickasaw Dog.................I also have some not so pretty names I call then once in a while but we won't go there on a family forum..........LOL

U-CH PTD Auggie vom Texomaland OFA Good
U-CH Marybecks Mauli Ishto von Issk OFA Good/Normal
www.vonisskshepherds.com

vonissk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:54 PM   #4
GingeryDaveysmom

GingeryDaveysmom is on a distinguished road

I agree I think its more the tone of our voice when we call them than what we call them that matters. And Von Davey and Ginger have a few of those names like the other day that Davey pulled the table cloth and my sugar cookies into the floor off the kitchen table you don't want to know what I called him. LOL

My names Amanda. Whats yours? LOL

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole." - Roger Caras

GingeryDaveysmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:10 PM   #5
Secondchances

Secondchances is on a distinguished road

We may actually change the name of our rescue when we find him/her. Initially I thought it was kind of rude to change a dog's name, but I read a section in the book "Do Over Dogs" that made me realize I was looking at the issue in too human of a light. So I guess that's a wordy way to say go for it...lol!

Secondchances is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:45 PM   #6
StarfishSaving
DD_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

StarfishSaving is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondchances View Post
We may actually change the name of our rescue when we find him/her. Initially I thought it was kind of rude to change a dog's name, but I read a section in the book "Do Over Dogs" that made me realize I was looking at the issue in too human of a light. So I guess that's a wordy way to say go for it...lol!
Despite what we want to believe, names are really just words to dogs; a word that means "hey, I'm talking to you." (Unless you want to get into the "do dogs have a sense of self?" debate, which I'm ready for as a warning...)

Dogs learn new names as eaasily as they learned their original ones, and they are just as happy to come to a new one once you have placed value on it.

In rescued dogs, I think there is a benefit to changing names because sometimes the name becomes "poisoned" by inconsistency on the previous owner's part. In other words, someone has taught the dog that it doesn't need to respond all the time because they were not bothering to reinforce often and the dog learned that there's no reason to pay attention just because someone said his name. A new name gives you a chance to teach a new attention cue.

I'm lazy, though, and inconsistent, and so I just teach separate words for getting the dogs' attention. I didn't bother changing any of my dogs' names and only change about half to maybe two-thirds of my fosters' names.

-Crystal with CGCs: Sammy, George, Sally, Dover and Toby and foster Tricksy
Rescue owner, professional trainer, shelter consultant

Getting Started on the Forum (and how to post pics)
Forum Rules

Last edited by StarfishSaving; 12-11-2011 at 06:47 PM.
StarfishSaving is online now   Reply With Quote