Dog Forum  

Go Back   Dog Forum - DiscussDogs.com > >

Old 09-08-2006, 09:15 PM   #1
DoggyMom

DoggyMom is on a distinguished road
Sudden Anxiety?

Well, I posted that Lily just turned 4 this week and now she has some interesting behavior popping up.
I'm home with her all day, and during the last week, she has been clinging to my side constantly. I mean, I can not do anything without her right there. She did this as a pup also, but has not behaved this way in long time. All of the sudden she is back in the habit. I can't even take a shower unless she is in the bathroom with her head peeking around the shower curtain. She cries/howls whenever I am out of her sight. Even at night, I can't get any sleep since she always wants me to have my arm around her (she has bed privileges, has since we got her). Anyone have some thoughts on why she might be acting this way again? She doesn't act this way towards me when my husband is home, she is fine and content then, just when it is her and I alone during the day does she become clingy.

DoggyMom is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2006, 04:37 PM   #2
nesta21har

nesta21har is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to nesta21har Send a message via Yahoo to nesta21har

i dunno that's really odd for it to just happen out of the blue! you can't recall anything out of the ordinary happening to her prior to this starting???

lily almost looks like my lilly!!!!

"If you want the best seat in the house ... move the dog."

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
nesta21har is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 11:44 PM   #3
DoggyMom

Not that I noticed of anything happening. Lily is always with me, and my husband goes to work each day, so she is used to being alone with me during the day. If I have to go anywhere, she stays with my neighbor, but she is used to that also. I've even asked my neighbor if anything happened the last time Lily was with her, and nothing out of the ordinary. I don't know what to think now.

Old 09-12-2006, 08:59 AM   #4
Rottweilerlvr

Rottweilerlvr is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Rottweilerlvr

Sounds to me that she is spoiled rotten. Have you tried putting her in a kennel for a hour or two while you are home? Or to block her from entering a room because you want your space? Does the husband do all the work with her? I'm just going to advise, but allowing a dog onto the furniture( bed, couch, ottoman, etc) puts the dogs on at least the same level as you in pack leader terms.

Linnea Rainey
==================
Countess Isabella de la Rosa, TT, CGC
Riddick, TT, CGC Rescued Rottweiler
==================
Baxter "Always in my Heart" 01/03/00 - 09/07/07
Beloved Rottweiler
Rottweilerlvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 10:28 AM   #5
DoggyMom

I know my dog is spoiled rotten. And no, I don't kennel her. I did in the beginning when we first got her, but I don't anymore. And as for my husband, both of us work with Lily on training and other such things. We take turns when it comes to walking/bathing/grooming. As for furniture priveledges, I don't believe in denying my dog of that. I guess you could call me pathetic, but I do spoil my dog. She's my kid, my baby in a sense.

Old 09-12-2006, 11:40 AM   #6
Rottweilerlvr

Hey, I hear ya, mine are my babies-- I don't know how many times I've heard when one of the friends or neighbors come over and say, " You dogs got the life." BUT I also can't afford to let love blind me when it comes to them and behaviors and training. To YOU, it may seem cruel but in the end you are helping your dog, and your dog will still love you and will thank you for it. I think your dog is the pack leader in the house, and she gets clingy to you because she's afraid you are going to leave her just like the husband does during the day. Does she try to herd you around? Pack leader dogs don't like it when their human pack members do something that's not suppose to be( for instance, husband leaving without taking pack leader dog) and in turn, she stays very close to you, keeping a watchful eye, to make sure you don't leave, or if you leave, without her. When you run errands do you take her with you or leave her at home? Does she get disruptive if she's home alone?

Linnea Rainey
==================
==================
Beloved Rottweiler
Old 09-12-2006, 11:46 AM   #7
DoggyMom

She doesn't try to herd me,not that I have noticed really. She seems to be fine if I do leave her, but I have to leave her with someone, or she destroys things in the house. I think I have figured out why she is a bit more clingy then before: we just moved, and we are still sorting through boxes and moving things into our new house. The move I think might have been stressful for her, since our last home was were we had lived since we adopted Lily (almost 4 years living there)

Old 09-12-2006, 12:04 PM   #8
Rottweilerlvr

Very much soo... Wish you would have said that first.... Moving can be very stressful on dogs.... Walk her, walk her alot... Giver he the feel that the pack is moving and when you reintroduce her to the house, make sure you claim the house, walk into every room first, make she when she enters each room that she is calm and relaxed.... Keep her on leash, so you can correct any bad behavior that she made do.... Walk her though... I recently moved to ATL a few months ago, and I walked my dogs around the neighborhood for 2 HOURS,(it allows them to get a feel for their new area, wears them out and calms them, relaxes them because they get the feel that they are moving with the pack leader- me) and then I spent another 30 minutes introducing them to the house on leash, and claiming the area.

Linnea Rainey
==================
==================
Beloved Rottweiler
Old 09-14-2006, 09:55 AM   #9
Miska

Miska is on a distinguished road

Is your dog part Lab? If so, Labs are known to be clingy. My lab is my shadow, where ever I go, she goes.

A tired puppy is a good puppy..

Dakota ~ 14 month old PB yellow Labrador

Miska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 12:55 PM   #10
DoggyMom

Lily's main breed is lab as far as I know. Her mother (Lily was born at the SPCA) was pure lab. We have no idea what breed the father was.
Lily is getting a little less clingy each day, maybe she is getting used to the new house? She does like the fact that I let her "investigate" each of the rooms on her own, with gentle coaxing that it's ok if she goes in there (our old place was a 700 sq ft apartment, our new place is a 1400 sqft condo) now she has lots more room to explore and we have a backyard now, so hopefully this will make a difference.