Dog Forum  

Go Back   Dog Forum - DiscussDogs.com > >

Old 02-10-2018, 02:17 AM   #1
Steele

Steele is on a distinguished road
Never found an answer

For quite some time, I have searched for the answer to this question, but have never found an answer. Maybe you, the community, can help me out!

I’ve had a few dogs throughout my life, I’m 23, and they all have this precarious thing they do when they go to sleep. Since they all have done it, I assume all dogs do this.
Sorry for the buildup, I’ll get straight to the point.

When my dogs have been going to sleep, at some point when they are comfortable, they take a reallllly deep breath. They then exhale all of the air. Sounds relaxing and normal, but then they HOLD their breath. For 10, sometimes up to 20 seconds. After that, they breathe shallow and kind of quick in and out then a pause. Then it repeats.

I’m not in the least bit worried, I’m just curious what makes a dog instinctively do this. Is it something dogs evolved? Does it have to do with a dog’s breathing habits, like how panting helps them regulate temperature?

The only thing that I can think of is the deep inhale and exhale, followed by holding their breath for that long, would slow their heart down significantly, making them totally relaxed. Works with humans, so why not dogs? Haha

When I have searched for it, half the results are about breathing and heart disorders, the other half is about reverse sneezing. So that’s why I came here lol

Anyways, I hope I was descriptive enough (probably too descriptive) to get a solid answer. Has anyone else noticed this and wondered the same?

Steele is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links